Telco-Interviews?

This forum can be used to post any topics related to general broadcast questions, tech stuff, informations etc.
This forum is unmoderated!
Adger
Telco-Interviews?

Post by Adger »

I was offered to interview a Band by telephone. It struck me, that in "these days" using the phone has become somewhat odd, so I never thought about this to become an issue, but now it is. I did a bit of net research, and got stuck.

My question is:

How do you solve the technical problem of recording an interview that you do by phone? Are you using special telephones? (If yes: which?) Are there other "easy and cheap" solutions? Any technical advice? Any "gapping holes" on the way the unaware is prone to fall into?
Adger
Re: Telco-Interviews?

Post by Adger »

woha... That reads rather complicated... ...and expensive.
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

I use special cable for mobile phones (in my case Nokia) made from headset cable. I connect one side to mobile phone and the other end (with 2 audio outputs and 1 audio input) into mixing desk.
Peter
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

An alternative would be to use 'Skype' and directly record your session (e.g. via an appropriate Skype add-on).
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Some info can be found e.g. here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_hybrid
or
http://www.audiotheater.com/phone/phone.html

So there are basically 3 typical solutions:
a) a special telephone hybrid converter/adapter is used, which offers a RJ-Western (RJ-11) jack on one end and an audio jack output on the other end (which can then be connected to your soundcard/mixer).
b) the telephone switchboard/system already offers a hybrid output (audio output).
c) the broadcast mixer consoles already offers a dedicated 'telephone hybrid' connector resp. a dedicated 'telephone hybrid' mixer channel.
Andreas Duswald

Post by Andreas Duswald »

Hello there - Take a look in the www for lrx 35 - This is a cheap an genius way to get the telefon into your mixer. We use it and it sounds perfect. No need to spend hundrets of Euro for an hibrid:
http://www.audiotranskription.de/aufnah ... ehmen.html
Everything is possible ....
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

Andfres, this is a good price. Did you maybe find some adapter for connecting mobile phones (in my case Nokia)?
Peter
Andreas Duswald

mobilefone is always the trouble with the signal disturbing. If you meen normal Cable Free Telefones - than there is from the same firm a different connector for that. think it was named lrx 37 or something like that.

For Cellfone/mobile in German Handy - I havend seen any connector jet
Adger

Post by Adger »

The LRX looks quite interesting but it seems to be rather hard to get these days (no longer produced, I guess). Are there alternative products to this device? I know there are some howtos and stuff aimed to those willing solder one themselves but honestly I really don't feel like prying something together that in worst case fries me, my system and my phoneline :-D
Andreas Duswald

just look around ebay a bit - i found it there after some days waiting and looking