Latency

This forum can be used to post any topics related to general broadcast questions, tech stuff, informations etc.
This forum is unmoderated!
peterGoyvaerts
Latency

Post by peterGoyvaerts »

Hello community

First of all i want to express my love for this software .
I never have seen something nice as Profrexx before.

And here is also where the problem lays.
I was always working with radioBoss connected with a simple mixer.
Now that i want to use the mixer inside Profrexx i have Latency on the mic(which is normal i guess).

Is there a way to erase the latency?
I think i normaly can send the sound out to our mixer and then back thru the usb behringher soundcard back into the out slider , but then i'm not sure if i'm going to bring the soundquality to a lower level.

Would like to have some advice Please
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Latency

Post by radio42 »

Latency, especially between a MIC input mixer channel which is directly forwarded (Output To) to an mixer output channel directly depends on the used driver model.
E.g. WDM/DirectSound as well as WASAPI are NO low-latency drivers, i.e. you can optimize the latency via the buffer settings to a certain degree, but never achieve real low-latency.
This you can only achieve using the more professional ASIO driver model.

I don't know, if your soundcard comes with an ASIO driver?
If not, you might still try http://www.asio4all.com/

And yes, you can also send the output to your mixer, and connect the MIC directly to your console and then feed back the output of your mixer to an input of ProppFrexx and then use this input as your streaming source.
In this case, the sound quality will suffer yes (as it passes multiple A/D and D/A converters), but this is in most cases a very theoretical discussion for high-end philosophers.
Are you using mp3 files for playback? Are you streaming to the internet or to an FM transmitter?
If yes, this is a much higher degradation of sound quality as by feeding the audio signal through a mixer console - just think of how many stages an audio signal passes in a live concert or recording studio ;-)