Hotkey Mapping / TalkUser

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Hotkey Mapping / TalkUser

Post by radio42 »

Is that may be a NUM-LOCK issue?
Here in my tests all NUM-PAD keys are just working fine.
What the key-codes you are using?
Adger

Post by Adger »

your assumptions of my stupidity never cease to amaze me. first, the keycodes are in my posting. reading might help. second, numlock on or off doesnt make a difference. are you sure you are testing the same thing?
Adger

Post by Adger »

We Jhary and I are having two different machines, different hardware (mine is mine on i5 3570 on z77 based), both W7-64, two unrelated physical locations that are not hooked up to each others. Both have their number-block-keys ignored within PFOA GPIO remoting. That's making me beyond certain that it is not "just my machine".

At least for me this function was working "several months back". On my side i know for sure it was working on january 28th 2013. I can pinpoint that date because I have a playlist dating back that day that I used along with "live moderation" aka talk-over and talk-user which I always used to use by means of num-block "0" and "+". As far as I know that was back with 3.0.11.27. We cannot tell an "it was working" date for sure with Jhary's machine.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I am not sure why you feel offended so quickly. I just try to find a simple answer why it is working here on 3 different PCs, but not on yours.
Yes I am sure I tested the right keys. I tested all NumPad keys.
I am testing it on Win7 so may be it's an OS difference I have currently no clue.
Adger

Post by Adger »

We just tried a couple of things n my machine (double blind test if you will). We were able to make the macro-recording functions of my _MOUSEDRIVER_ cooperate with PFOA by mapping F2 (which is similar to "MAIN_TALKOVER_TOGGLE", if I'm not mistaken) to "Mouse5". So this cross-software-cross-hardware-interaction does in fact work.

We then tried binding several keys within PFOA within GPIO remoting to "MAIN_TALKOVER_TOGGLE". We tried Q (81). We tried Num-pad zero (96). We tried "-" (189). All of them macros responded correctly to "Test" within the Macro / Command editor. NONE of them worked outside the settings-dialog.

Another thing: Jhary's keyboard is PS/2, mine is USB. Mine is a "Logitech Elite Keyboard", his a.. I don't know... some old Microsoft device. So a USB-problem is off chart.

I'm willing to send what ever logs I can, when told which.

PS:

All this testing was done with mouse on, mouse off, new drivers, old drivers, with recorded macros (mousedriver) and without. The results were the same every single time.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

May be it's the windows layout or a certain DSP window which causes the trouble.
You might try to temp. move away the "ProppFrexx ONAIR.layout" file and then restart PF to see if that changes things.
In addition you might remove any used DSPs to see if they prevent the hot keys from working.

The background is that windows can only send keyboard events to the top most focused windows. Eg to a focused playlist window of PF. If PF does not have the focus it would not receive any keyboard events.
Adger

Post by Adger »

Disabled and removed everything but no change. Also moving the .layout away didnt help.
Adger

Post by Adger »

Since I happen to be a persistent and curious self-loving bastard I opted the previous-to-last choice before installing windows anew and of course I happened to be splendidly successful as I made PFOA obey my demands. I'm here to tell my tale for those who happen to find themselves interested enough in how to make PFOA regain conciousness after going astray. This is not for the weak at heart and espeically not for those who happen to find themselves being terribly unlucky in regards of administering machines when fumbling with their guts.

* made backup of the installation folder and /user/.../roaming/radio42/...

* manually delete original folders (installation and .../roaming/.../radio42)

* open regedit

The weak of heart may feel advised to make a full backup of their registry at this very point.

Scan for and delete (parent)keys one can find by searching for:

- proppfrex
- radio42

EXCEPT(!) for entries like "recent document", "recently opened", "recent application" etc. especially within key-groups of applications like "word" or "adobe acrobat".

After making sure that all proppfrex and radio42 keys are gone, close regedit, make sure all original install-folders are gone and restart the system.

Install PFOA anew, in my case I used some installer one or two versions back which I happened to have residing on my disc.
Start PFOA.
Enter registration details.
Quit PFOA.
Copy previously saved backups over freshly installed versions.
Restart PFOA.
Test functionality.

I quite happily agree this being a quite delicate and desperate endeavour to make a humble application run swiftly but in the end there must be some kind of a problem with PFOA and assigning registry-keys. There seems to be some point at wich PFOA is mistreating the registry in a selfdestructing way.

Rejoyce, for the day is saved: All keys are recognized once again. This issue may be closed in terms of "not a current problem of mine"

BUT there most certainly needs some serious work to be done in regards to what PFOA does within the registry and how. It is not acceptable to have the user go whalehunting in the uncharted waters of the registry as severe and unrecoverable damage can be done there.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Funny enough, that PF doesn't even really make use of the registry. It is purely the Microsoft Windows installer of PF which always uses the registry.
That's why I save all config things in files and NOT in the registry.
But note that the Hotkey mapping file do use the extension .key. Which is also the default registry export file extension. So may be a double click on one of these files did modify the registry in a funny way?
Else I would not know what registry entries would cause such behavior, as said PF doesn't really make use of the registry.
Adger

Post by Adger »

There was a key with subkeys named" radio42" where several settings were saved especially the appearance of the clock but other stuff, too. Along that a ton of reg-keys were to be found in the audio-branches. All of them "Proppfrex"-keys. I don't know how the get there or what makes them be there, they seem to be wrecking havock every now and then which I happen to find quite disturbing. Since this is seemingly not only happening to me but others aswell - we do have at least one vivid example of the perfectly same issues - there should be something done about this.