News overlays occasionally repeat/miss tracks

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
fredrich347
News overlays occasionally repeat/miss tracks

Post by fredrich347 »

About once every 24-48 hours (with hourly news overlays), a news track is added to an overlay twice (i.e. Intro, News, News). Upon using PFL on the exact same overlay, the issue does not reproduce. Nor does it for the other hours with the exact same news category. It is very sporadic, which makes it awkward to know why.

This issue seems to extend to missing items in some scenarios. I have a news overlay with two tracks picked in alphabetical order, and I got a case, with the overlay restricted with a max tracks of 2, that the 2nd item repeated twice. Maybe this would not have happened if it did not repeat though, so this may just be a side effect.

Code: Select all

04/09/2017 15:58:59: CreateAndAddDownmixSourceStream: CreateSourceStream (-2147443452, \\Radio\Audio\News\Intro.wav)
04/09/2017 15:58:59: CreateAndAddDownmixSourceStream: CreateSourceStream (-2147443447, \\Radio\Audio\News\Weather.wav)
04/09/2017 15:58:59: CreateAndAddDownmixSourceStream: CreateSourceStream (-2147443443, \\Radio\Audio\News\Weather.wav)
The order should be Intro, News, Weather for this particular example.

For a single track news category, setting the max tracks in the overlay to 1 does solve the issue, but as shown above it does not fix categories with 2+ tracks.

I am using "reference track" and NOT "import track".

I am not sure what other information I can give, as it seems to work perfectly fine the majority of the time. It could maybe test if it is specific to having an intro, to alphabetical mode or to reference tracks if you wanted.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: News overlays occasionally repeat/miss tracks

Post by radio42 »

Can you share your entire 'News' configuration with me, as I cannot follow exactly how you setup things without it (i.e. a zip of your News folder and your Overlay .calendar file or a screenshot of the overlay item in question).
I assume you are using and Overlay Scheduler entry with the News mode?!
Are you somehow updating or syncing the folders in some way, eg. exactly at the time the overlay is evaluated?
fredrich347

Post by fredrich347 »

News folder is attached.

Below is the setup of an overlay with two tracks. This is an example of where the 2nd track repeated and the 1st was missed.

Below is the setup of an overlay with one track. This is the example where the sole news track repeated. (Note: You will need to change the |1|0 to |2|0 or higher for the issue to happen - but it doesn't happen 100% of the time as mentioned earlier)

As a further note, I am using "resolve overlays to playlist" (i.e. embedded containers). I forgot to mention this.
Attachments
news.zip
(8.35 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
fredrich347

Post by fredrich347 »

I should have answered your other question:

I was not performing any manual sync at the time and there is no indication in the logs that any took place at the time.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I have looked into it and was (of course) not able to reproduce it.

Can you maybe try to put the news audio files directly into the related news folders (and remove the original reference) - meaning do not reference them via a UNC path to a remote/network drive, but place them onto your local disk.
Just to see, if this changes things... as the issue happens with you every 24-48 hours, we might see, if this changes anything.

I am asking because the only issue I can see is the reloading of the news folders.
fredrich347

Post by fredrich347 »

I'm away for the next week, but I'll try test this out for you.

On the subject of reloading: the playlist I am using, that contains the embedded containers, is multiple hours long. I know that if a sync/reload happens it recalculates the containers (for duration etc.) that are yet to play. Could it be a sync/reload while the playlist is playing, even if done hours earlier, perhaps sometimes trigger the issue?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Any News?
Else, I assume, that I can close this issue?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I assume it never happened again - as such, I am closing this issue.