Mixer and cartwall 2 gone.

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
mark62
Mixer and cartwall 2 gone.

Post by mark62 »

Hello,

When I go to the "view" menu 2 buttons don't work anymore. The mixer and cardwall2 don't show up anymore. Probably something simple (I hope) but I can' t find it.

Greetings Mark
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Mixer and cartwall 2 gone.

Post by radio42 »

Please make sure you are on the latest version.
Then close PF and delete the file "ProppFrexx ONAIR.layout", which is contained in the ProppFrexx AppUserData data folder and then restart PF.
However, I guess this is not a bug, but more because you .layout file somehow got corrupted.
mark62

Post by mark62 »

Thx Bernd.

Problem solved!

Greetings Mark
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

This 'bug' (if you will - it was actually in many cases a hard disk issue and in a few others it was indeed a bug in the UI lib, that I am using; and in other cases the users simply don't now how to rearrange a broken layout manually once they messed the windows) - however, the real 'bug' was already fixed for quite some time, but there are still many users on a very old version - thus, they either update or they need a solution.
Plus there is also already a tool available (see the 'Workplace' ribbon item in the 'View' ribbon tab), which lets you save a default layout once all is arranged, so that you can simply restore it at any time, if the layout for whatever reason got broken or was just accidentally messed.
But many people simple don't use this (like many users never make backups ;-)
In addition in the general settings, section 'Look & Feel' there is also a 'Reset Layout' button available; which does exactly do what you describe. Thus, I already added 3 solutions to the problem - but this still doesn't help, if people are on an older version.
Bumperke

Post by Bumperke »

mark62 wrote: 11 Nov 2017 13:08 Thx Bernd.

Problem solved!

Greetings Mark
Bernd, this happens a lot. If I may?
Why not run a simple tool (PFRelated) that recovers simple bugs like this.
Eg, you do experience a bad layout in PF. The menu gives you the possibility to run the recovertool and runs automatically, deletes the layout and reboots!
Or is this more than that?
Will
Bumperke

Post by Bumperke »

radio42 wrote: 16 Nov 2017 08:25 This 'bug' (if you will - it was actually in many cases a hard disk issue and in a few others it was indeed a bug in the UI lib, that I am using; and in other cases the users simply don't now how to rearrange a broken layout manually once they messed the windows) - however, the real 'bug' was already fixed for quite some time, but there are still many users on a very old version - thus, they either update or they need a solution.
Plus there is also already a tool available (see the 'Workplace' ribbon item in the 'View' ribbon tab), which lets you save a default layout once all is arranged, so that you can simply restore it at any time, if the layout for whatever reason got broken or was just accidentally messed.
But many people simple don't use this (like many users never make backups ;-)
In addition in the general settings, section 'Look & Feel' there is also a 'Reset Layout' button available; which does exactly do what you describe. Thus, I already added 3 solutions to the problem - but this still doesn't help, if people are on an older version.
Oké, those are a lot of possibilitys. I guest we just don’t read enough :D
Will
Nvanhoorn99

Post by Nvanhoorn99 »

it is now the 4th of February 2020 and 3 days ago i got the problem of the cartwall gone and the mixer and it wouldnt start up any more but once i deleted the proppfrexx .layout i could get it back on i have the newest update avaible and i still have the problem deinstalled it and reinstalled it few times couldnt figuer it out until i saw this post i have my reason that its possible that it isnt that much of a fix with the file itself but more on how to restore the file once it happend correct me if i am wrong but isnt there a way to restore the file automaticly at the update or isnt that just not possible cause if you have diffrent workspaces and diffrent layouts does it rlly matter if the file itself gets updated to a fixed version with a update to?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

As said, normally an update wouldn’t destroy or invalidate the .layout file.it happens fine with hundred of users but with one or two (like you) it fails and the .layout File got corrupted. It actually doesn’t get corrupted with the update itself (it is not even shipped in the update) but it got corrupted when PF is closed before the update.
So there is no logic to detect such thing - unfortunately.
And as said, it most probably fails because of an error in the IO sub system, e.g. a disk error or a like. But the error is a bit unclear and the issue is, that the restore leads to a hang in the UI lib which I cannot control and if it hangs it hangs and I cannot react anymore.
So unfortunately there is currently no way to easily detect or resolve it automatically.