Mood, Energy entry lost

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
Inzane8305
Mood, Energy entry lost

Post by Inzane8305 »

I dont know if this is a bug or we maybe have done something wrong.

All music saved with metadata-tag and PFMD (metadatafile) (Cuepoints, ramp, end a.s.o.).

In metadata we also saved Energy (one letter : L, M, H ; Low, Medium, High) but after last update all are gone. :o
Same goes with Mood.
Can we (hopefully in a simple way) get this back or are they lost ?
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Mood, Energy entry lost

Post by radio42 »

Please make sure you are using the very lastest version v4.0.4.26.
If you are still unable to to get the Energy or Mood back, please send me an audio file to test with, as here it all works fine.
Inzane8305

Post by Inzane8305 »

E-mail sent with one file and PFMD. The problem is that all files were "done" with the last version. And after updating to newest version Mood and Energy entry was lost. It works with files stored AFTER updating. (The entry is saved) But we are sad to go through all files AGAIN.
Inzane8305

Post by Inzane8305 »

As an answer to a and b : Proppfrexx did not (2 or 3 versions ago, as I remember) save data to these WAV files. That is why we started using the PFMD files. We have not tried renaming the files to *.MP3 to test if that would solve the problem. Before the PFMD files no data was stored in the tags : No cuepoints or BPM or other. I will try sending you more files. (Not touched by Proppfrexx after updating) And Im sure the Mood and energy WAS there. Did you start storing that data in another place perhaps after making Mood and energy configurable?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

ProppFrexx always supported writing TAG data to the WAV/RIFF LIST INFO chunk!
Renaming to MP3 wouldn't help, as said it is RIFF containers with embedded MP3 data!

If meta data cannot be saved to your files, their file format (RIFF chunks) are probably corrupt or invalid.
ProppFrexx only saved TAG data to correctly aligned chunks, as otherwise the file might get even further damaged.
Note, that invalid chunks contained in the file might still contain playable audio.

The TAG writing and reading was not modified since many many versions.

Update: as you have send me 3 more files:
Here are my findings:
In one file the RIFF chunks are corrupt/not aligned correctly – thus TAG writing impossible!

The other 2 files are RIFF containers with embedded MP3 audio.
Currently ProppFrexx (once MP3 audio is detected) doesn’t read any RIFF LIST INFO meta data – even if saving it is already supported.
I’ll add this capability to the next version – so that you can fully use these file format as well for TAG writing AND reading.
Still note, that this file format is rather funky and very uncommon.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I guess you are facing multiple issues here (after looking at your files)

a) your WAV file is effectively a RIFF file with an embedded MP3 data chunk (which is indeed a bit unusual/funky use, as mostly a RIFF/WAV container contains linear PCM data).
So the audio is effectively MP3 in your case, but the file still uses the RIFF/WAV container and the LIST INFO chunk to store meta data.
Most audio applications doesn't support writing TAG data to WAV files (leveraging the LIST INFO chunk) - however, ProppFrexx does!

b) you are using a .pfmd file (which you must have activated actively, as per default ProppFrexx does do it) along with the audio file to save the meta data. As a result you had an inconsistency between the audio files TAG data and the TAG data as stored in the .pfmd file.
I recommend to only save the meta data in exactly one place only (either .pfmd or the audio file - while I prefer the audio file - which is also the default setting of ProppFrexx).

c) However, in both (the .pfmd file as well as in the audio file's TAG data) there was no 'Mood' or 'Energy' value present!
As such, I cannot say where why it got lost or if it was ever present!

Note, that updating to a new ProppFrexx version wouldn't change any audio files or even save or remove any TAG data - so unless you haven't saved any new info to the files, it was for sure not ProppFrexx removing it via a version update.

If you have any other/older (untouched) audio file, please send it over to have a look at - but these files doesn't contain any.