Mute an Output Channelstrip with some driver models does not work?

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
prometheus
Mute an Output Channelstrip with some driver models does not work?

Post by prometheus »

Hi Bernd,
I have a problem with the mixer.
Output channelstrip 1 is patched to output channelstrip 2 via "Output To" in the output device configuration.
When I use the driver model "None" in the output device configuration, the mute button works. But if I use another driver model, the mute button does not work as intended. The audio signal can still be heard on channelstrip 2.
Is that the intention of you?

I'm using a ProppFrexx v 4.5.0 on Windows 7 with ASIO driver.
In my example, a channelstrip (cleanfeed) should be sent with Audinate Dante (only works with WDM on Windows) in real time to other ProppFrexx instances, but it should also be usable separately from the main program together with the cartwall.

Greets, Tobi
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Mute an Output Channelstrip with some driver models does not work?

Post by radio42 »

Yes, this is by design.
By default the 'Mute/Unmute mode' of a mixer output channel is set to 'Mute/Unmute Output'.
This means, that only the output of that mixer channel is muted.
The additional 'Copy To' function which you are using, however always applies to the audio signal 'pre-fading' - thus it copies the audio signal independent of the fader and mute function.
(the virtual none driver mode is effectively a kind of sub-bus functionality, where no real output is available - this is this mode the mute function will effectively need to mute the original input signal - hence the difference).

If you want to apply the MUTE function to the input signal of the mixer, you can change the 'Mute/Unmute' mode to 'Source'.

Click the '?' icon at the top of the mixer channel configuration dialog to get the following help:

Source: mutes/unmutes any source audio signal of the mixer. When muted any recording, streaming and SND routing will be muted as well.

Output: mutes/unmutes the output audio signal. When muted any recording and streaming will still process the source audio signal, but any SND routing will be muted as well.

External: Like 'Output', but the external device will be muted/unmuted as well (not available for the ASIO and NONE driver model).
prometheus

Post by prometheus »

Thank you for your detailed explanation.
But if I switch to source mute / unmute I can no longer record off air the channelstrip which serves as the sum of several other channelstrips for example the mics, cartwalls and standby players while the music stays on air.

Okay, it looks like I have to think of another solution for my (special) purposes. ;-)
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

This is a bit of chicken and egg issue, as you can only mute pre- or post-fading.
However, the solution to your issue is actually using the SND function I assume, as this might also be changed between pre- and post-fading but always apply independent of the Copy-To functionality.