Problem with Windows Object Handle

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
prometheus
Problem with Windows Object Handle

Post by prometheus »

Hi Bernd,

I have been watching for a while now that ProppFrexx under Windows overfills the USER OBJECT HANDLE. This does not occur only since the last update. Windows has a limit of 10,000 handles. Once this is achieved, PFOA crashes. Windows and .NET is up to date.
The objects become very fast when I change the cartwall. Also from soundbeds to drops, etc.
I use PFOA v4.0.5.5 Enterprise-Edition on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and as mentioned above with all the important updates.

Screenshot from Taskmanager:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/agpuwwr33vwi3 ... .14.43.png
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Problem with Windows Object Handle

Post by radio42 »

I have provided a v4.0.5.6-beta version which should address the object handle issue.
To install it, please select "Check for-Beta-Version..." menu item underneath the help icon at the very top right.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

User Objects are created for each window object being displayed for example. As you mention the cartwall, each cart will use a couple of object handles (for each label, groupbox, button etc.) each time it is created (lets say around 10).
ProppFrexx actuall caches up to 50 carts per cartwall for quicker display.

Could it be (as I once had a similar case in the past), that you are displaying cartwall libs, which contain hundreds of entries?
If that is the case, this limit might be reached much quicker than expected, as for each entry a graphical cart is created.
For example a cartwall ib with 500 entries might easily consume 5.000 handels.
Could this be a reason in your case?

I will in parallel also investigate, if there any memory or handle leakages on my side!
prometheus

Post by prometheus »

hmmm...
At the moment there are 38 different Cartwalls or Libs. Each Lib has a maximum of 20 entries.

Whether it has anything to do with it, I do not know, but as a test I've clicked through all libs in the dropdown menu from Cartwall 1 & 2 after a restart and the object handles were quickly more and more.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Thanks, I am already looking for any leaks.
prometheus

Post by prometheus »

Looks good!
Many Thanks.
prometheus

Post by prometheus »

Sorry but the problem does not seem to be solved yet. Since the last update to the beta version we are back at 8000 objects. But now I have no idea where that comes from.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Me either, I did various tests and here it stays stable at around 2.500 objects.
So what are your primary actions when you see the object handle count increasing?
prometheus

Post by prometheus »

Very strange.
Currently, I notice nothing unusual in any action.
Only one thing: The problem occurs only in the installations where we do something with it. A live show, for example. For all other installations that play only music and news, there is no problem.
At a live broadcast we play music, play carts and switch cartwalls, using the PFL player, play news and advertising via overlay player.
Basically a normal daily routine in our station.
But from day to day there are more and more handles.
Unfortunately I can not say more, but I can keep watching. Maybe I'll notice something else.
Last edited by prometheus on 27 Mar 2019 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I'll also make some more tests here myself to see, if I can find anything...