issue while VT

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
moogwill
issue while VT

Post by moogwill »

Hi Bernd, here's a strange issue one of our djs experienced several times:

As He's doing his show live, he's recording the end of his show using VT on the same playlist.

Sometimes when he clicks to to record the VT window doesn't load completely.. and stays lie this frozen.
At the same time, the on air track keep playling till its end, then nothing happened and it needs a restart.
As I just had a quick look there's nothing in the error log.
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2019-11-15 à 13.13.36.png
radio42
Site Admin
Re: issue while VT

Post by radio42 »

If there is nothing in the Error.log it is not an error within ProppFrexx.
Please take a look to the Windows Event Viewer to see, if you can spot any errors there.
The screen actually looks like the OS/system is running out of resources and as such cannot fully display the window anymore.
This could be a memory issue, a bad graphics driver or simply a too weak system?! Hard to say.
As said, please take a look to the Windows Event Viewer to see, if you can spot anything there.
But this is definitely not a ProppFrexx issue, as else something would have been logged to the Error.log file.
moogwill

Post by moogwill »

maybe you can explain to me something really strange.. I just had a fresh restart... and I realized that the in the task manager the processor and memory use of PFOA is getting bigger and bigger with the time in use, until it freeze as I mentioned above... after a fresh restart processor use is around 22% and memory use ise around 550Mo.
But right before my restart, PFOA processor use was around 50% and memory was around 1500Mo.
Why is it increasing like this ???
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Are you using a VST/DSP, e.g. StereoTool?
Normally ProppFrexx uses on a modern quad core CPU something like 2-5% of the CPU in normal operations.
If you discover a higher CU usage, this might be because you use StereoTool - this is a very CPU hungry VST, which uses around 20-25% of CPU usage. Else only a full rescan of a bigger media lib might temporarily increase the IO and CPU usage.
Memory usage might increase over time and depends on the usage of ProppFrexx, e.g. the size of the media libs and if you load tracks into memory or only read them from disk (see the general settings, section Players). 1GB of main memory usage can be totally normal!
If you want to relieve the memory, consider the use of a Media Library Server - as explained here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1014&p=3914#p3914
moogwill

Post by moogwill »

Yes, you're right I'm using stereotool, and I now it's a very hubgry plugin... I'm also allready using MLS. but this doesn't really answer my question. As I told you I''d like to understand why the CPU use is growing, and goes down when you restart PFOA.
I jut had a quick check on PFOA CPU Use at the time I'm writning this. As I said It was around 21/22 after my restart, and its Now 25/26 %, and as I told you it's gonna grow, step by step...
Right Before my restart yesterday it was around 50% and at this time nobody was using the system remotely, no recording or specific tasks.

Only playing and encoding.

I will keep you updated about this CPU usage. till tomorrow evening.

T.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Please stop using SterwoTool and then we. An talk again. ONLY if the CPU usage is increasing without using StereoTool we can further investigate what else can be the reason.
So far there is no customer nor my own experience, that the CPU usage is increasing over time.
As such, we must eliminate possible reasons. One is StereoTool. I just had another customer who faced a similar situation. And in this case it was a certain StereoTool configuration which caused it.
However, I am not a StereoTool expert. Not do I offer support for it.
As such, in order to see, if StereoTool is also the reason in your case, please remove StereoTool from your setup for some time to see, if the CPU usage goes down and stops increasing.

I hope you understand, that there can be a multitude of reason, which might all be outside of ProppFrexx, from bad drivers to issues in the IO sub-system to network issues and also the use of Remote Desktop Access, which might cause an increasing CPU behavior. However, I have not seen an issue within ProppFrexx so far - that is why I cannot give you a clear answer.
moogwill

Post by moogwill »

I will try to try using ST standalone and virtual cables to check this, cause I can't stop the sound processing on a broadcasting machine...
moogwill

Post by moogwill »

Stil investigating about this.. CPU usage seems to be stable for PFOA now.
I have a question about GPIO that seems to be using a lot a CPU 13 or 14 %. Is it a correct value??
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

The GPIO itself doesn't use anything. It will only consume network IO and thus also CPU once you the GPIO is in use, ie. traffic is send back and forth for remote control. The CPU load depends heavily on the machine and its use.
moogwill

Post by moogwill »

so If I ask more precisely. Using an arduino start interface and airence control, is 13/14% a normal value?