Program scheduler -- Play audio file -- load dummy file

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
fred48fm
Program scheduler -- Play audio file -- load dummy file

Post by fred48fm »

Hi,

Doing some tests, i'm stuck with a strange behaviour in program scheduler

Situation for my test :
1- One script program running allday long (a bunch of songs in one category/folder)
2- Adding a program schedule in parallel : soft type - playing one audio file - As overlay, one cycle

Result :
A second playlist windows open but it contain :
Deck A : The requested audio file
Deck B : A random audio file
Deck C : Empty

So the Program as to play the programmed file and the random file before returning to the main program.
Is there a way to avoid a second random file to be added in the playlist window ?

Thank you
pf--scheduler.png
pf--settings.png
pf--overlay.png
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Program scheduler -- Play audio file -- load dummy file

Post by radio42 »

Well, maybe there is a little misunderstanding about that ">FILE:" feature as a dynamic way to create a script.
The background is is to play a larger audio file as the main content of that program, e.g. a recorded session, an archived show or an external mix which you received as a single file.
However, this feature is not intended to play a single short file as an overlay - in that case use the Overlay Scheduler or create a small extra script file with a single script-line.

This is what ProppFrexx is doing when it detects a ">FILE:" program entry:
- it uses the given track reference to dynamically create a script
- this script contains always 2 script-lines:
1) a LoadTrack track script-line to use the given track
2) a Random script-line using the largest media lib available
This dynamically create script will than be used (LoopLine is set to 2, in order to eventually loop the 2nd script-line).

Note, that the program length should be set accordingly!
For example:
Assume you receive 1 hour mix show from an external DJ which you like to play.
You can now define a quick program with a length of approx. 60 minutes and use the >FILE: entry to reference that audio file.
Now further assume, that the DJ sometimes sends you a mix show which is not exactly 60 minutes long:
a) the mix might be short - in that case the 2nd script-line will be used to fill the program with those random tracks (to prevent silence)
b) the mix might be too long - in that case it is up to you to define how the next program should start (Fixed will cut off the mix; Soft might delay the next program to a certain extend)

This is the use case for the ">FILE:" feature. As such, it is perfectly working as designed and the 'Overlay One Cycle' option is also doing what it supposed to do, as it resolves the dynamically created two script-lines as expected.

As said, if you just want to play a single short track, either use the Overlay Scheduler or use your own new script which contains one a single script-line referencing your single track.

So this is not a bug, but works as designed.
fred48fm

Post by fred48fm »

Hi,

Thank you, that's more clear as you explain it.
For most of our prerecorded shows overlay scheduler is of course the best shot.

By the way i noticed something else, if i have a program like :

12h -> 18h : Random songs with jingles
14h -> 16h : Program to play a single file (without the overlay stuff) - Using soft time upd

That work perfectly, but for the remaining part of the random song+jingles program (16h -> 18h), the jingles are not showing anymore. I just have the last script line looping.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

When you schedule two overlapping programs (without using the overlay options), they are executed one after the other.
I.e. the 2nd program ENDs the prevvious one!
Thus your 2nd program (12-16) continues to play also after 16h!

Thus make sure to fill in your scheduler differently, e.g.:
12-14: Prog A
14-16: Prog B
16-18: Prog A