Updating

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
Adger
Updating

Post by Adger »

When initiating the update from within PFOA the software *says* it would terminate, but it does not. I guess the process of "check media libs" is the culprit. the update fails. The PFOA-Updater window stays onscreen with "Please wait, update in progress... Proppfrexx onair did not terminate within 90 sec." no "ok", no "cancel", no "retry". Clicking the red "X" (close window) closes the window and the user is left behind clueless: Now what?!

- Fix the "manually check media libs" so the user can get rid of the stupidly resourcehugging "automagic-crap" on startup.
- "Terminate Program NOW" - which part of "NOW" did you not get?
- Make the updater have a "retry"
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Updating

Post by radio42 »

a) When ProppFrexx is terminating (and it takes longer as expected) please see the status bar of the main form, this will inform you where is currently 'hangs'.
This should give a clue where exactly it 'hangs'.
Not sure what you mean by "check media lib", but I am affraid there is not much to shortcut, eg. modified, synchronized folder based media libs must be saved in order to restore correctly.
However, there is a message box comming up (with an OK button), if ProppFrexx didn't terminate within 90sec.!
If that is not the case on your machine, there must be something else going on wrong!

b) Fix the "manually check media libs" so the user can get rid of the stupidly resourcehugging "automagic-crap" on startup:
-> I am not sure what you mean by this. Can please explain this in a bit more detail.
As there is no "automagic-crap" on startup!
If you think so, please explain.

b) "Terminate Program NOW" - which part of "NOW" did you not get?
-> I am not sure what you mean by this. Can please explain this in a bit more detail.
ProppFrexx needs to gracefully shut down, eg. save its histories, entry stats, layouts etc. - so there is no "NOW" option.

c) Make the updater have a "retry"
-> This should be possible.
Adger

Post by Adger »

[@quote]a) When ProppFrexx is terminating (and it takes longer as expected) please see the status bar of the main form, this will inform you where is currently 'hangs'.
This should give a clue where exactly it 'hangs'.
Not sure what you mean by "check media lib", but I am affraid there is not much to shortcut, eg. modified, synchronized folder based media libs must be saved in order to restore correctly.
However, there is a message box comming up (with an OK button), if ProppFrexx didn't terminate within 90sec.!
If that is not the case on your machine, there must be something else going on wrong![/quote]

When updating the main-ui is shut down. there is exactly NOTHING to see except for a white box stating "Please wait, update in progress..." Which statusbar should I ceck, when there is no UI to look at?
b) Fix the "manually check media libs" so the user can get rid of the stupidly resourcehugging "automagic-crap" on startup:
As there is no "automagic-crap" on startup!
If you think so, please explain.
Manually rescanning media-libs reloaded the libs, but did not rescan the folders and did not add new files with the last versions. ONLY autoscan on startup did that.
b) "Terminate Program NOW" - which part of "NOW" did you not get?
ProppFrexx needs to gracefully shut down, eg. save its histories, entry stats, layouts etc. - so there is no "NOW" option.
When PFOA tells "There is an update, want to install it?" there are two options: "yes" and "no". Picking "yes" initiates the kill application - start installer - restart software. Killing the application does not work reliable when a media-lib update (initiated by the "autoscan lib on startup") is running. The User has no means of interacting once the cycle of shutdown - update - restart is invoked. The updater asking for elevated rights and shutting down the UI can be interpreted as "application is shutting down now", no?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Fixed in v3.0.11.16.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

It is of course reported in the ProppFrexx ONAIR main statusbar, while ProppFrexx ONAIR is terminating.

There is a difference between 'Reload' and 'Rescan' and also a difference between folder based and playlist based media-libs.
I assume you are referring to folder based media-libs?

Reload: Just reloads the media lib, for folder based media libs, this means reloading the '_synced_.pfp'.
Which might be needed, if the media lib was changed outside of this ProppFrexx instance, e.g. by another ProppFrexx instance or by another process.

Rescan: Means a complete rescan of all files of that folder based media lib, which would also detect new or removed files and also includes (re)reading of all TAG data.
Which might e.g. be needed, if the folder structure or any files have been changed outside of this ProppFrexx instance - and as such the '_synced_.pfp' got out of sync.
For playlist based media libs this means a complete rescan of all TAG data for all contained media entries.

Furthermore, since v3.0.11.13 the 'Auto Watch' feature of a media lib is evaluated. If this is set, a rescan is performed at startup regardless of the general 'Rescan at Startup' option and as such allow it to be defined on a per media lib basis.

However, today it is not possible to cancel a started rescan operation - I'll add such an option to the next version.

The update doesn't 'kill' an application (this would be really bad!) - it gracefully terminates/stops it - which includes several steps, including saving all layouts, saving modified media libs, shutting down the audio engine and waiting for any currently running background tasks to complete (eg. a started rescan operation). Once gracefully terminated, the update process can effectively be started.
So this is not a 'kill now' thing, it is really wating for the graceful termination.