3rd-Party DSP Plugins: Incorrect Initial Values

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
szal77
3rd-Party DSP Plugins: Incorrect Initial Values

Post by szal77 »

Good evening Bernd,

I know I’m a few hours early, because your official return to duty is only tomorrow. ;) But now that I’m at it for preparing tonight’s show, and I noticed this behaviour again—I always do when firing up my other machine and starting PFOA—I thought I should put this here before I forget about it again.

I already noticed a handful of versions ago—can’t say at what point exactly—that at least some, but definitely not all, third-party DSP plug-ins need to be clicked on once after starting PFOA showing the little window with the value dials in order to work with the correct values they have been set to. Because when showing this value dial window for the first time after program startup, it first shows the default values for a split second, then jumps to showing the values the plug-in has been set to. And I was of the impression one day I purposely took a good listen to it that it’s not purely a display issue, but that those plug-ins really run at default values at first, and only change after having been clicked once.

Some plug-ins I already observed this behaviour with are: the GVST plugins, especially GGate (a noise gate), and GSatMax (gain, saturation, and limiter) from the beta section; and Jeroen Breebart’s Broadcast plug-in from his VST plug-in bundle. I have no way to tell whether it’s the plug-ins’ or PFOA’s fault. Two plug-ins that do not exhibit this behaviour are the GranComp3 and GranComp3 Mono plug-ins from the BuzComp Free series.

I’d be happy if you could have a look into this matter and hopefully find out where the dog lies buried.

Thank you very much in advance and kind regards

Sven
radio42
Site Admin
Re: 3rd-Party DSP Plugins: Incorrect Initial Values

Post by radio42 »

I heavily tried to reproduce that here - but with no success.
I especially tried the GVST GGate and JB Broadcast plugin...but here there restored with all values just as expected and fine...no need to click somewhere to effectively restore the values.

Can you explain a bit more in detail how you tested the issue and what exactly you did to 'restore' the values again (what do you mean by "...need to be clicked on once after starting PFOA...")?
szal77

Post by szal77 »

radio42 wrote:I heavily tried to reproduce that here - but with no success.
I especially tried the GVST GGate and JB Broadcast plugin...but here there restored with all values just as expected and fine...no need to click somewhere to effectively restore the values.
I just checked on this machine, and so far the only plug-in I could find that does what I described is GGate, which I am using on the mic input channel.
radio42 wrote:Can you explain a bit more in detail how you tested the issue and what exactly you did to 'restore' the values again (what do you mean by "...need to be clicked on once after starting PFOA...")?
I click on the ‘slot’ in the mixer where the DSP plug-in is loaded, which the mouse-over tooltip calls ‘{First|Second|Third|Forth} VST or Winamp effect plugin control’. If a plug-in is active on a ‘slot’ (indicated by light-blue background colour), the mouse click then opens a control panel with turn knobs for each adjustable value. And the first time I do this after startup of PFOA, the affected plug-ins show their default values for a split second, then readjust themselves to show the values they have been set to.

I discovered this behaviour by chance, and for me it is 100% reproducible.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

And is it just the 'display' values of the 'knobs' which are adjusted back from their default values...or is also the effect itself incorrectly set in your case?
Meaning is the VST started up and working with incorrect values or is only the display incorrectly shown for this 'split second'?
szal77

Post by szal77 »

I’m not entirely sure whether it’s just a display issue, or more than that. Perhaps if I find some time, I can do more testing in this regard.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

As far as I am with my tests it is only a 'display' thing - which is actually by design...so please report, if you think, that also the sound processing is effected in your case (which I am actually not able to reproduce)!