Next day song repetition

You are missing a feature or need an enhancement? Post your suggestion here!
Alexander Bryntesen
Next day song repetition

Post by Alexander Bryntesen »

What about adding a feature that prevents the same song to be played at the exact same time next day?
And that you can choose how many minutes this margin shall apply within.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Next day song repetition

Post by radio42 »

I might put this on a wish list; but I guess with a decent music lib this is more or less so unlikely to happen, that it might not get a high priority.
Alexander Bryntesen

Ok, but do you have any recommendations on how big the history log should be compared to the number of songs in the system?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Most users work with a song history of around 100 to 200 tracks (some even only with a history size of 50), when there are a couple of thousand tracks in their media lib.
It's rather hard to say and also depends on how you have organized your tracks into media libs and what the smallest media lib contains. And what your general rules are.

Note sure where you are coming from?
I.e. a day has 1.440 minutes, given an average track length of 4 minutes would mean 360 tracks might be played during a day (or at max. 15 per hour).
If you subtract jingles, IDs, commercials, moderation etc. you might end up with around 300 tracks?!
When using script-lines containing some LeastTimesPlayed or LeastRecentlyPlayed modes, the probability of a track being played at almost the same time on the next day is really pretty low.

Even with only 1000 tracks and no history, the probability would only be around 15:1000 that a track is played within the same hour (which is 1:66 or around 1.5%). Using 5000 tracks the probability is already down to 0,3%.
And I assume you are using more tracks than 5000?

So, the effective probability in fact depends on the overall number of tracks contained in your media libs which are being used at that time.
As such, it is not really a matter of how big the history log should be, but more a question about how big your media libs are.
And this something I can not influence. As said, if they contain a couple of thousand tracks or more I wouldn't really worry, that this ever happens.
inl_inc

Post by inl_inc »

This is already possible in ProppFrexx by using global history - however your library must be sufficiently large to allow random selection from within the available for playback library subset.

You need to configure global history so that available for playback tracks are shifted by X hours (3, 6, 12 hours whatever your preference).

Using Bernd's estimate of 300 tracks per day (ie 12 songs/hour) - if you set your global history to 300 and you only have 400 tracks then there is a high chance of the same song being played around the same time each day.

If you set the no repeat to 300 + 3hours*12 = 336, you are guaranteed that the same song will not be played the next day at the same time as it must be offset by 3 hours. If you have a 2000 track library and your no repeat is set to 1050 you are guaranteed that the same song won't be played within 3.5 days, plus the likelyhood of a song being played at the same time on day 4, 5 (whatever) is sufficiently small making a feature to prevent this somewhat redundant.

At least this has been my experience ...
Alexander Bryntesen

Thanks for feedback on this.

I have a lib with 1,000 songs and it works fine. But it's in the small lib I occasionally run into problems with repetition . (I assume that most radios have a list with only 40 or less songs to be played often).

A bit about how I've set it up .

As I said the big lib is NO problem, it is only in the small lib with the 40 hit songs.

Global song history is only set to 35 .

I also use the look-ahead "back-to-the-future" option and "keep global history persistent".

In the scripts I use sequential to pick the media/songs.

Maybe I should use LeastResentlyPlayed or LeastTimesPlayed more ?!?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

If it is JUST with this small media lib and you don't pick (in every hour a lot of tracks out of that single and small lib) then you might use a special history on that small lib only. E.g. if it contains 40 tracks, try to set the media lib history to e.g. 20...

OR

When picking tracks from these small libs, don't use the default "Random" script-line mode, but e.g. the 'LeastTimesPlayed' mode!
This mode would pick a random track from the least times played candidates and thus automatically ensures, that you repeat those tracks with their maximum delay possible.

However, if you e.g. pick in every hour 2 tracks from such a small lib, then this would mean 48 picks a day - so it is obvious, that you repeat them almost every day again and again...

However, go ahead and try the 'LeastTimesPlayed' script-line mode! With this you would probably get the best resulsts without using ANY additional history at all!