mute button in the overlay scheduler & limit date of use in the tag editor

You are missing a feature or need an enhancement? Post your suggestion here!
moogwill
mute button in the overlay scheduler & limit date of use in the tag editor

Post by moogwill »

Hi Bernd, Hi All.

It's been quiet a long time, since I've been Here... The more I use the software, the more I like it.
But there's a Few features I Miss, that would really make my life better.

so Here's 2 of them:

- In the overlay scheduler, a mute button would be great, A simple mute, and a range dated mute, Imagine that you have a special show for summer that needs to mute an overlay only during 2 weeks or a special show that won't fit with your usual recurrent scheduler, you should be able to mute those overlays, that could goes again the next day or the next week/month on a date you could fix.

- In the Tag editor, there's in the other section, many options of dates &/or time, but one's seems missing, a limit date of use. means you would be able to specify a precise date to stop playing this file from a random pick. and by the way, an automatic delete of the file at this same date could be an option.

thanks for reading me,
Have a nice day,
Thomas.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: mute button in the overlay scheduler & limit date of use in the tag editor

Post by radio42 »

1) 'Mute':
I assume with 'mute' you mean a kind of exception, so that the regular recurring of the overlay is paused for some time. This feature already exists, but in a different way as you might expect...
Within the Scheduler you can simply select the particular overlay occurrence and then press the DEL key to delete the specific overlay entry.
You will then be asked, if you want to delete the entire series (all recurrences) or only this occurrence.
Please select to delete only this occurrence!
You now already created your desired 'exception'. Repeat the above for all specific occurrence you want to not execute and delete the specific overlay entry occurrence. That's it.

2) 'Track Limit Date of Use':
In the TAG Editor there are two limit settings to differentiate:

a) Scripting Restrictions : these are the time and date ranges when a track is NOT to be picked by the scheduler (negative exclusion)
Here you can specify e.g. a 'Date Range': which defines a general date range when the track should NOT be scheduled.
You might also specify a date range in the future, e.g. "31.11.2016 - 31.12.2199", which would automatically 'end' playing that track starting with the 31.11.2016.

b) Assigned RuleSets: these are the time and date ranges (rules) defining when a track IS allowed to be picked by the scheduler (positive matching).
Here you can specify e.g. a 'Date Range': which defines a general date range when the track should be scheduled. E.g. you might specify a positive date range like this "01.01.2016 - 31.11.2016", which would also automatically 'end' playing that track at the 31.11.2016.

Being honest, I am not sure what is missing here?
However, I do not like the idea of physically deleting audio files, as this is rather critical and so far ProppFrexx never really deletes YOUR audio files, and I would like to leave it like this ;-)
moogwill

Post by moogwill »

Hi Bernd,

I totally Agree, but imagine I have a special summer show during two months in the summer.. If i wanna physically delete the overlays of this show, I'll have to do it everyday for 2 months in the scheduler... Let's imagine now that this overlay is daily recurrent, but the special summer show is only from mondays to fridays.. if i simply delete the recurrent overlay I will have to create a new on for the weekends, and in september I will have to "rebuilt" my original overlay. Imagine now that in overlay reccurence I can select Mute from XX/XX/2016 to XX/XX/2016 wouldn't it be more easy?

that's not a big deal, I can manage my overlays without that option, it was just an idea that comes to my mind while I was deleting some overlays from the scheduler...

About those requests.. I allready tried those two options and definitely, it makes it. It wasn't a request for something that I was unable to achieve, just something that would be more intuitive or Ergonomic (if that word mean something in English, I'm not sure about that)

Thanks,
Thomas.
moogwill

Post by moogwill »

About the rules method, maybe I missunderstood the method, here's my idea of how it's working: if you want an individual limit date, then you'll have to create a rule for each new track you want to limit, all that rules are used one time cause when the date is over they can't be re-used unless you edit those to a new date for a new purpose, but they are still in the rules library right?
regardless of a simple selection in the tag editor that could play till xx/xx/201x.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

If you want a limit rule, that sets an individual stop date for a track (and these stop dates are different for each track), then you can apply a 'Scripting Restrictions' as explained above (and do not need a 'rule' at all).
You might also specify a date range in the future, e.g. "31.11.2016 - 31.12.2199", which would automatically 'end' playing that track starting with the 31.11.2016.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

'Mute': Yes, that is the way you'll have to do it. And yes, there are always certain cases, where a few seconds more work is necessary. But it is important, that you can make these exceptions.
However, I guess the 'Mute' would not be easier, as you exactly explained it above: If your overlay is daily recurring, but your show is only on 2 days of the week, a 'Mute' function would even NOT work. In this case you would have to have the flexibility to delete individual occurrences as I explained above. So this point is an argument against the 'Mute' function!
If however your special show 'matches' the overlay pattern, you might simply 'End' the current overlay and create a new one at the end; a simply holding down the CTRL key while dragging an existing overlay creates a copy - so that is simple I assume.

About the 'Limit Dates': I am not sure what you mean - what exactly would be more intuitive or ergonomic?
I don't see which exact option is missing as you said above or is too complex to set up?