Midi Problems

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Mike_C
Midi Problems

Post by Mike_C »

Hi Bernd and College's,

i got a strange issue.
i got a Novation Launch Control Xl midi mixer and when i plug in the mixer for the first time after a clean install of windows and go into PPOA to the midi divices and go to midi monitor and turn some knops and sliders, i see the data appears in the monitor window.

i can now assign the knops and sliders to the commands and when i finished and click ok and want to control the way i programed it nothing happens.

when i look again into the midi monitor windows nothing happens when i turn a nop, the sliders work.

i don't know what happening the first time i connect the midi controller to the system or how to change it.

2e question = where do i find the control commands to change the EQ volume from the player A,B and C.
i look everywhere in the giant list of poseblility's but can't find it.

Greetz Mike.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Midi Problems

Post by radio42 »

Hi Mike,

the MIDI issue sounds like your MIDI controller is somehow loosing the connection.
As the Novation Launch Control Xl is a USB operated MIDI controller, are you maybe operating it over a USB hub? If yes, please try to connect it directly to your PC and see, if that changes things - or try to operate it over a powered USB hub (active) instead of a passive hub.
Also note, that MIDI is typically only allowed to be accessed by one application at a time; maybe you open another app at the same time which also tries to access the Novation Launch Control Xl?

However, I had a few customers with a similar issue and in the end it was always a USB issue, which caused these 'drop-outs'.

To your 2nd question: I am afraid, that there is no explicit control-command to remote control the DJ Players EQ volume. I am also afraid, that there are no immediate plans to add them. Unfortunately there are a few special controls in the DJ Players, which cannot be remote controlled.
Mike_C

Post by Mike_C »

hi Bernd,

i'm using 1 usb cable directly from the Novation to the pc and the faders and bottom knobs working fine, no problem with those.

it's the 3 top rows with knobs who are visible at the first time you open the midi editor and assign the knobs then you can learn the knobs the tasks the schould do and when you hit te ok buttuns in PFOA to close the GIO Editor there is nothing hapening when you turn the knobs and when you open the midi monitor you see nothing when you turn any of the top 3 rows, the faders and bottoms knobs working fine.

i don't realy know what's happening.

2) To bad there are no commands to control the EQ, its handy in a location show to eq the mic so there is no feedback from the speakers.

Gr. Mike
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

You might try to see, if the MIDI controller is allowed to work in different modes (some controllers actually work in different compatibility modes to support dedictaed MIDI sub-protocols). Sometimes these are called Mackie, Cubase, etc. If available, please try those modes and see, if that changes things.
Also try to enable resp. disable the 'Auto Pair MIDI Messages' option and see, if that changes things.
If all these options doesn't work, I am afraid, that the controller doesn't send 'normal' MIDI short messages or behaves differently with these knobs - please contact Novation in this case to get some help, why these knows behave different than the other faders/knobs! - as ProppFrexx simply receives standard MIDI short messages.
And as the other faders/knobs work fine, I must then assume it is a Novation issue.

2) I do not understand what you are trying to say here: "...its handy in a location show to eq the mic so there is no feedback from the speakers..."??
If you don't want to get feedback in your MIC from your speakers, you shouldn't output your sound to your speakers, but only to your headphones! The DJ-Players's GAIN control is reset with each track to it's defined initial gain value and I guess this control is not the right one to control 'feedback from speakers'? But may be I misunderstand what you are saying.

Maybe the "PLS_CURRENT_PLAYER_A/B/C/D_OUTPUTVOLUME_SET" command is what you are looking for?
Mike_C

Post by Mike_C »

1) I got it working :D thanks, it was auto Pair midi message to be turned off.

2) maybe we miss understand each other.

when we have a broadcast outside in the open air you got always speakers for the people.
so when the mic is open you got always to be carfull of feedback into the mic that's also if you got a reporter with mic in the audience.

BUT maybe i'm thinking wrong, i'm new with the radio things.
maybe there is a other way to do this, any surgestions how anyone deal with this problem is always welcome.

Gr. Mike
Mike_C

Post by Mike_C »

Hi Bernd And College's

2) yes i got that already assigned to the faders.
we shall see and it would be try and error with some ajustmends to the channel eq.

thanks for the great assist (again) :D

Gr. Mike
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

1) Perfect!

2) As already said above, if you want to control the overall volume of the DJ Players, use the mixer output channel's fader/volume control (to which the DJ Player(s) is/are routed) - see MIXER_OUTPUT_VOLUME_SET.
Or if you need to control the individual output volume of e.g. the DJ Player use PLS_CURRENT_PLAYER_A_OUTPUTVOLUME_SET.