How to set up a simple news and commercial schedule?

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Bumperke
How to set up a simple news and commercial schedule?

Post by Bumperke »

Bernd.

I did set up news and advertorials, but the commercials start before the news.
News strictly on exact hours, after that the add block.
E.g. New exactly 12:00, than the commercial break at 12:02! This doesn't work.
Are these settings oké?
Are these settings oké?
PF01.png (31.44 KiB) Viewed 9228 times
What do we do the start news, and that commercials. And than the script takes over with regular music.
PF02.png
PF02.png (47.76 KiB) Viewed 9228 times
See screenshots.

Bumperke
radio42
Site Admin
Re: How to set up a simple news and commercial schedule?

Post by radio42 »

First take a look at what you have configured:
- The Advert has a Start Time at the full hour
- The News also has a Start Time at the full hour
So far so good. But take note of your Show in Advance Time:
- The Adverts are shown 300 sec. in advance!
- The News only 60 sec. in advance
As such, the Adverts effectively show up 240 sec. BEFORE the News - as expected and experienced ;-)

To let the 2 start exactly one after the other in a defined order, please do the following:
1) go to the general settings, section Scripts/Scheduler and enable the 'Combine Parallel Overlays' option
2) leave the Start Times of both overlay entries as they at the full hour!
3) but change the Show in Advance Time, so they are also both EQUAL, e.g. set both to 300 sec.!
4) Set the 'Prio.' (Priority) accordingly: Prio. News to 0; but Prio. Advert to 1 ! (this defines the order when started at exactly the same time)!

That's it.
So in essence, let them start effectively (incl. the show in advance time) at exactly the same time, but use the 'Prio.' value to define its playout order.
Bumperke

Post by Bumperke »

Works. Only one thing. The news items are sometimes a bit longer and in the last timing the advert started during the weather forecast. How to make sure that that's is heard as Well?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Make sure your News files are available at the time when Overlay Players shows up AND DO NOT change the file after!
Bumperke

Post by Bumperke »

Bernd.
radio42 wrote: 3) but change the Show in Advance Time, so they are also both EQUAL, e.g. set both to 300 sec.!
We expirience now that 300 seconds ( 5 minuts) is to long, after all the news will be automaticly downloaded 120 seconds before the hour.
With this setting we'll have the news from the hour before (E.g. at this moment, in this settings the downloaded newsitem at 9.58 AM will be played at 11.00AM).

Problems are:
noe time the commercials interrupting the news.
Another time there are several seconds silence and than the commercial starts.
Commercial campagne needs to start at every half hour (9.30, 10.30 etc). This add always interupt the song and does not wait untill the song is played. What can be wrong?
What to do? Can you help?
Bumperke

Post by Bumperke »

radio42 wrote:I already tried to explain: Make sure your News files are available at the time when Overlay Players shows up AND DO NOT change the file after!
I.e. download you news items earlier, e.g. at 9:55 and start your overlay only 120 sec. in advance.
The recent news is availible exactly 120 secondes before the hour. We can't do anything to change that.
Bumperke

Post by Bumperke »

Bumperke wrote:
radio42 wrote:I already tried to explain: Make sure your News files are available at the time when Overlay Players shows up AND DO NOT change the file after!
I.e. download you news items earlier, e.g. at 9:55 and start your overlay only 120 sec. in advance.
We got thats but the recent news is availible exactly 120 secondes before the hour. We can't do anything to change that.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Then you can ONLY start your overlay 60 sec. in advance!
And hope, that the newly available news can be downloaded in at least 60 sec.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I already tried to explain: Make sure your News files are available at the time when Overlay Players shows up AND DO NOT change the file after!

And if you don't want to currently playing song to be interrupted hardly at exactly the start time, you should change your Overlay Entry's 'Start Type' from 'Fixed' to 'Soft' !

Please click on the '?' icon at the very top right of the Overlay Editor dialog to get a full description of each setting value.
Bumperke

Post by Bumperke »

Bernd, somehow it does not work.
The news starts exactly at the hour, then closer jingle overrules the news. Are settings wrong?
Overlay editor Time.png
Overlay editor Time.png (45.42 KiB) Viewed 9181 times
When the jingle ends there is a silcence from at 3-4 seconds before the advertising starts.
Overlay editor Time.png
Overlay editor Time.png (45.42 KiB) Viewed 9181 times
This is allright? I see the mixing time. Does that has any influence, or is it related to the silence?

Will
Attachments
Overlay editor Time2.png
Overlay editor Time2.png (37.95 KiB) Viewed 9181 times