Proppfrexx and novation launchpad mk2

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
rwijnen
Proppfrexx and novation launchpad mk2

Post by rwijnen »

Anyone got an idea how to make this work like following?

I can make a cart start from the launchpad, but what setting's do I need to make a led on the novation go from green (standbye) to red (play) and at the end back to green. Or any Color for that matter.

I am guessing it needs several lines in one command to be recorded but what are the lines.

Much appreciated

Ik heb het voor elkaar dat ik met een button op de novation een cart kan starten maar hoe zorg ik ervoor dat de ledkleur gaat werken en veranderd van bijvoorbeeld groen naar rood en weer terug.

Waarbij ik de startkleur vd button in eerste instantie gelijk wil laten zijn aan de kleur die ik gebruik in de cartwall van proppfrexx.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Proppfrexx and novation launchpad mk2

Post by radio42 »

You can use the following events (see general settings, section 'Events/Commands') to change the LED status:

Cartwall1.OnCart1Play: send a MIDI message to the launchpad to make an LED red and use the ${cartid} macro to indicate the number of the card being used 1..n.
E.g. use the EXEC_SEND_MIDI_SHORTMSG command to do so.

Cartwall1.OnCart1Paused: send a MIDI message to the launchpad to make an LED green use the ${cartid} macro to indicate the number of the card being used 1..n.
E.g. use the EXEC_SEND_MIDI_SHORTMSG command to do so.

However, I guess you need to consult your Launchpad manual what exact parameters to use.
Note, that a MIDI messages typically uses 3 bytes:
1. status
2. channel
3. data
which are also the parameters of the EXEC_SEND_MIDI_SHORTMSG command.
The question is now which values to use?! This as said should the Launchpad manual reveal.
Once you found it, let me know and I might help with the real EXEC_SEND_MIDI_SHORTMSG command parameters...
rwijnen

Post by rwijnen »

It's hard to tell, but for what I read is that the command structure is exactly the same as the help in PF tells me with that command (the exec midi one)

I use this line:
EXEC_SEND_MIDI_SHORTMSG 0x90|0|60|0x7F but when I test this PF says: "ERROR: MIDI output not started"

When i monitor the output when I press the assigned button to trigger CW1 cart 1 it says:
MSG: 0x90 0x0B 0x7F [Channel 0 NoteOn Key=B-2, Velocity=127]
MSG: 0x90 0x0B 0x00 [Channel 0 NoteOff Key=B-2, Velocity=0]
CMD: Status = 0x90, Data1 = 0x0B, Data2 = 0x0000
CW1_PLAY_CART_1
rwijnen

Post by rwijnen »

BTW:

This is from the manual:

Number Systems and MIDI conventions
There are three ways of expressing MIDI data in this manual. The first, where appropriate, is a
plain English description of the message. When we describe a musical note, middle C is deemed
to be ‘C3’ or note 60. MIDI channel 1 is considered to be the lowest-numbered MIDI channel and
channels range from 1 - 16.
MIDI messages are also expressed in plain data, with decimal and hexadecimal equivalents. The
hexadecimal number will always be followed by an ‘h’ and the decimal equivalent given in
brackets. For example a note on message on channel 1 is signified by the status byte 90h (144).
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I guess this section does not describe how you can set the color of a pad on your Launchpad.
So if that is all what is written, please consult the vendor of the Launchpad (possibly Novation) to ask what exact MIDI messages must be send to the controller to activate a certain color on a specific pad.

However, when you get the PF message: "ERROR: MIDI output not started"
Then you haven't activated MIDI output in the general settings, section GPIO - there, please make sure, that MIDI output is enabled and you selected the related MIDI device for the output.
Then try your commands again...