remote media library server migration

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
moogwill
remote media library server migration

Post by moogwill »

Here's a two step question.

1) What specification are required for the host of a remote media library server. (ram, normal os, server os, dedicated PF licence...?)

2) How complicate is it to migrate a local library to this new server (any tutorial or step by step method?).
moogwill
Re: remote media library server migration

Post by moogwill »

maybe studid question: What are fundamental differences between folder based library and playlist based library?

I can imagine that folder based library use a folder for each cat of files, and playlist based got all the files in a same location, Am I Right?

Thanks.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

A folder based media lib uses a specified root folder and considers all files (tracks) underneath (incl. in all sub-folders) as part of that lib.
A playlist based media lib is mainly a .pfp playlist file and the content (the playlist entries) of that playlist file defines the tracks contained in that lib.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

1) No extra license is required to run the Media Library Server! The clients who want to use it however must use an Enterprise-Edition.
Hardware requirements are pretty much the same as for a ProppFrexx instance.
As all media libs are loaded into memory, it should be enough to hold it, e.g. 8GB and a Quad-Core CPU should be good.
Any supported OS is fine (see notes about the .Net Framework v4.6.2 requirements), but I would suggest a 64-bit OS. E.g.:
- Microsoft Windows® 7 SP1 (x64) or higher
- Microsoft Windows® Server 2012 R2 (x64)
- Microsoft Windows® 10 (x64)
- Microsoft Windows® Server 2016 64-bit
And I would suggest using fast local harddisks, e.g. SSD as well as a fast network connection.

2) The migration is pretty easy and depend if you are using playlist or folder based media libs.
Basically however, you can simply copy the physical audio files and folders 1:1 to your MLS.
If you are using folder based media libs, make sure the _synced_.pfp file of the root folder is copied as well - the MLS should read that in 1:1!
When using playlist based media libs, note, that by default a .pfp file contains relative paths. So if these paths doesn't change on your MLS, they can also be read in as is.
I.e. you need to register (add) your media libs then within the MLS.

On the client side (ProppFrexx ONAIR) you can then remove all your regular media libs and instead add 'Remote Media Libraries'.
If you are using the exact same names for these media libs, this is all you need to do.
Else you must also adapt your script-libraries according to the new media lib names.
moogwill

Post by moogwill »

Server pc on it's way, will try to migrate DB next week... For a second studio, in a multiple studio configuration, if i Have the full version at least in the main studio, what other licence do i need? may I order a cheaper one?
Thanks,
T.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

As already explained in my previous posts:
The MLS itself requires no extra license!
The clients who want to use it however must use an Enterprise-Edition.