Mairlist to ProppFrexx

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Joery
Mairlist to ProppFrexx

Post by Joery »

Hi everybody,

I'm new here and playing/testing with PFON for a couple of days now. I have a small internetstation, but we're growing and we're hoping to get on FM soon. Therefore we're planning to switch from Mairlist tot PropFrexx because the news an advertising system is ideal. But A have one major problem.

In Mairlist I work with "virtual" folders. Like "2000's" and "2000's (NO AIRPLAY)", "A Currents", "B Currents", "Recurrent". On my server (a Synology NAS) I only work with folders with the genre or year (for example, "2017" "2016", "Rock".) So I made folders in Mairlist where I can easy select what mairlist has to plan, and what not. Every week I buy new music which I put on my NAS in the folder 2017. In mairlist then I take the new song and put it in the folder "A currents", when it's getting older, I place it in folder "B Currents". The original song stays in the folder "2017" on my map.

In PFON (demo version) I don't see a database function with folders. It seems I have to rearrange al my tracks on my NAS, but that NAS is used as source for my extern HDD that I use for dj'ing. So everytime I need to make changes for PFON, it changes also for my extern HDD for dj'ing, and that's not what I want.

What is the best thing I can do now? Is it possible to make virtual folders in PFON?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Joery
Joery
Re: Mairlist to ProppFrexx

Post by Joery »

Wow, what a great explanation!
Thank you so much!
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Mairlist to ProppFrexx

Post by radio42 »

I assume, what you mean by "virtual" folder is like a database table.
So in mAirlist you do NOT use your physical folders, but a database table resp. a logical view.
This 'logical view' is than what you call a "virtual" folder.
Meaning the 'logical view' or "virtual" folder is something, which is maintained by mAirlist and simply represents YOUR list of tracks.
E.g. "2000's" and "2000's (NO AIRPLAY)", "A Currents", "B Currents", "Recurrent" etc. - are simply different lists of tracks.

In ProppFrexx this is what I call a playlist. But instead of using a database to save those playlists, ProppFrexx uses file based playlists - preferable in the .pfp plalyist file format.

Note, that ProppFrexx has mainly two types of media libraries:
a) folder based
b) playlist based

If you want to work with folder based media libraries - than you are absolutely right with what you say and your physical files in your folders represent your view, e.g. you would have to move files between the folders.

BUT, if you work with playlist based media libraries - you have the exact same concept of a 'logical view' !
A playlist based media library is a logical view to one or many tracks located somewhere in your folders.

ProppFrexx allows you to open (your playlist based) media libraries and edit them directly (see the arrow underneath the 'Open' ribbon button, and select 'Media Libraries...'). You can even open multiple playlist based media libraries in parallel (and arrange them as needed, e.g. side by side) and use simple drag & drop to move item between them.
Or you can use various key short cuts, e.g. the 'Add' or the 'Insert' to directly add/insert a playlist entry to one of your existing media libraries.
So ProppFrexx was exactly designed with this type of media library management functions in mind.

I myself work in a very similar fashion.
Every week I purchase new music, which land in some physical folder.
I then open a new and empty playlist and drag all my new files into the empty playlist.
Now I work my way 1 by 1 through this list of new tracks and use the 'Add' (+) key to quickly assign my new tracks to my existing playlist based media libraries (note, that you can also select multiple tracks an add them all to a library).

Every so often, I then open my 'A Rotation' media library (also playlist based) and do almost the same...I select the first few tracks in that list and 'Add' them to the 'B Rotation' media library - and after I remove them - etc.