FADEOUT DB column not read?

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Bo98A
FADEOUT DB column not read?

Post by Bo98A »

I have a DB view with a FADEOUT column but when this is loaded in ProppFrexx, the FadeOut cue point is missing. If I rename the exact same column to another cue point such as FULLLEVEL or OUTRO then it works fine. Is there something different about FADEOUT?

(This is a DB media library - I haven't tried a metadata database)
radio42
Site Admin
Re: FADEOUT DB column not read?

Post by radio42 »

What (type of) database are you using and what exact value does your FADEOUT column contain and what column type are you using - and who populated this database initially (i.e. is this from a migration, e.g. from Jazzler or any other system.
And are you also using values for DURATION and/or CUEOUT - if yes, what values are used for these values.
(there are various internal checks made to ensure correct values; e.g. FADEOUT should not be greater than CUEOUT or the DURATION)

Maybe a complete layout of your database table would be helpful (incl. a few example rows).
May I ask, why you are using a database based media lib (which is essentially only supported for migrating from another system ;-)

I.e. make sure the DURATION value is present. Its value depends on the columns type:
- long, int : given in milliseconds
- double, float: given in seconds incl. fractions
- timespan, datetime: given directly resp. as the time of the day
Bo98A

Post by Bo98A »

Yes, it's a migration from an older system but the cue points were all checked and adjusted since. The cue points are stored as a double type. It is a MariaDB 10 (MySQL compatible) database.

Out of the ProppFrexx columns, I am using: TITLE, ARTIST, LOCATION, CUEIN, RAMP, OUTRO, NEXT, FADEOUT, CUEOUT, INITIALGAIN, GROUPING

The actual table contains more data, but they are not used by ProppFrexx.

Note that the other cue points I am using do work fine, such as OUTRO and NEXT.

Example row:

Code: Select all

CUEIN | RAMP |        OUTRO       |        NEXT        |      FADEOUT       |      CUEOUT
------|------|--------------------|--------------------|--------------------|-------------------
0.04  | NULL | 208.77832199546486 | 208.77832199546486 | 208.77832199546486 | 211.5872335600907
FULLLEVEL and RAMP2 also work but not FADEOUT.

---

There was a few initial reasons on using a DB media library:
  1. Indeed the migration from an older system was easier.
  2. We are using data that is not supported by any playlist format I'm aware of (e.g. sort artist). ID3v2.4 would cover that though (TSOP), so only a folder-based media library is an alternative.
  3. The audio files did not migrate with a directory structure. The library separation was stored as data in the database. This could be migrated via a script however.
So, a ID3v2.4-based system is being looked into. There's still things we're looking at beforehand such as the performance of reading ID3 data over 1000 audio files as opposed to a database (I know ProppFrexx helps with this with _synced_.pfp and auto watch, but I'm referring to other applications) and the compatibility of ID3 in MP2. But a migration to ID3v2.4 is being planned.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

As noted above: Does you table/view also contain a DURATION column as explained above.
If not, this might be the reason.

I.e. make sure the DURATION value is present. Its value depends on the columns type:
- long, int : given in milliseconds
- double, float: given in seconds incl. fractions
- timespan, datetime: given directly resp. as the time of the day
Bo98A

Post by Bo98A »

No it does not have a DURATION - though the other cue points worked without it.

I see I missed mapping the DURATION column in the DB view so I will try it out.
Bo98A

Post by Bo98A »

The DURATION column is now properly mapped, and the FadeOut is now read. Thanks.

I assumed CUEOUT was sufficient, so that's the mistake I made.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Perfect!