Crash after hard disk is full

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Bumperke
Crash after hard disk is full

Post by Bumperke »

Hi Bernd.

I do have a 2questions.
Does PF uses or writes temp files on the disk were the program is installed? And if so, were?
Proppfrexx makes small files, hidden in the database, for remote voice track, is that correct?
I guess you can answer these questions.
Concerning the ‘ hidden compressed files’ , can I write them to another folder?
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Crash after hard disk is full

Post by radio42 »

ProppFrexx doesn't create any hidden files. All are fully visible. ProppFrexx also doesn't use any database all is fully file based.
All config files are saved in the folder location(s) you specified explicitly in the general settings (e.g. your script folder, Advert Storage Path etc.) All other config files are located in the AppUserData folder. Folder based media lib files are kept in the related folder (_synced_.pfp files).
So no secret, magic, hidden whatsoever places!

There are also no 'hidden compressed files'!
When you perform remote voice tracking it might create (depending on YOUR configuration in the RVT Path - so yes, you can change this location, like any other location as well, all paths are freely configurable in the general settings) compressed audio files for your remote voice tracker. These files/sub-folders are created according to the RVT session and are also not hidden.

So basically yes, to some extend you must monitor your file system yourself.
ProppFrexx can not make decisions by itself, even if it comes with a load set of house keeping options to automatically delete 'old and unused' files - see the general settings for details - there are a lot of 'Keep X days' options.

What ProppFrexx does for almost all files is (when a modified version is written), it first created a temp file writes the new content to the temp file and then if all was successful renames the old file to .bak (if configured) and renames the temp file to the original file.
This ensures, that in case of hard disc or program crash scenarios a consistent state is written.

However, when your hard disk all of a sudden becomes totally full and as many hard disk controllers effectively cash data files - nothing can really be guaranteed; but this is unfortunately out of the control of ProppFrexx.
Bumperke
Re: Crash after hard disk is full

Post by Bumperke »

8-) I thank you for this answer. Very useful!