Nomalize show

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
SiriusRadio
Nomalize show

Post by SiriusRadio »

Perhaps not that difficult.
I’m making three shows and render them as mp3 (downmix, mp3 etc). I just checked the shows but the levels are not equally. Is there a way to set the whole show in one level, Eg +98 dB? So the compressor just needs to level instead of correcting all different songs in the mp3file? I know that Cooledit used to have that specific feature.
If yes, how to do so?

Merry xmas
Michel67
Re: Nomalize show

Post by Michel67 »

Maybe you can use mp3gain for invidual mp3s

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

There is no need to use mp3gain or a like, as ProppFrexx does exactly this calculation build-in when you activate ReplayGain and activate the Automatic ReplayGain Calculation :-)
Michel67

Post by Michel67 »

I wondered why is there a certain sequence from AGC, DSP, EQ, COMP to the signal that finally leaves PF?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I am not sure what you mean?
A mixer channel of ProppFrexx allows you to apply certain FX/DSPs on it before the audio is send to the final output.
This is optional.
Many radios want to apply certain effects or even use certain VST processors to fine tune the sound.

If you ever used a professional external physical mixer console, you will also find those FX/DSPs there.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

+98dB??? In the digital world the maximum is 0dB.

However, I guess you want to level the individual tracks of your show to make them all sound almost equally loud. Simply normalizing the peak level doesn’t help, as some tracks might make a different dynamic range, others might already be compressed and mastered differently.

As you cannot amplify them without the risk of distorting them, you can attenuate them.
And this is what ReplayGain is doing.
ProppFrexx fully supports ReplyGain as well. You can activate this in the general settings, section Audio/General.

To learn more about ReplayGain see here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

To achieve even better results, you can then also in addition apply a dynamic compressor or EQ. Eg. there are very good processors available from ToneBoosters (FIX) or use StereoTool.
You can set these VSTs for the Downmixer in the general settings, section Encoding/Recording - see the 4 available DSP slots there.

When you apply both, your downmixed show will sound perfectly equalized.
Michel67

Post by Michel67 »

clearly. Merry Christmas