unable to drag to playlist

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
makenote3
unable to drag to playlist

Post by makenote3 »

Hi, I have several radio stations and I'm experiencing a problem on version 4.0.4.14 with one station and not the other, even though it's using the same version.

In studio 1 I can select a track from the search window and drag it anywhere to the playlist. It adds the track to the bottom of the playlist.

In studio 2 when I try this, the track will only add to the playlist if I drag it over the top of the first track on the list. It inserts the track into the second spot on the playlist, instead of the last spot. If I try to drag to the bottom of the playlist or any other spot, it does nothing - the track isn't added anywhere. It's fine if I use F12 or right click>insert - the drag and drop option is the only insert method not working.

I've searched through all the user options and playlist options for the answer but I can't find anything.

Thanks
radio42
Site Admin
Re: unable to drag to playlist

Post by radio42 »

That indeed sounds strange. Especially when it only happens on one machine, but not on others.

When trying it here in my test machines I can also not reproduce the issue.

Are you using UAC? And if yes, is that happening with all users or only a certain one, and what are your user rights ?
makenote3

Post by makenote3 »

Hi, yes I'm using UAC with only one user profile which is identical across all studios.

I even manually went through with a staff member sitting beside me calling out the settings.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Have you tried to temp. deactivate UAC, to see, if that changes things?
makenote3

Post by makenote3 »

Just tried disable UAC but the playlist workspace took over and I couldn't use track search to drag tracks in.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

What do you mean by "the playlist workspace took over"?
That all more sounds like something general is broken in the layout on that machine.

What we might try is to close PF; and remove all "*.layout" files from the AppUserData folder and then restart PF to try again.
(you might back the .layout files if you want, as once removed you are back to all default layout settings)
makenote3

Post by makenote3 »

Hi Bernd, I tried your recommendation and removed the layout files but the problem persists. This is happening on 2 out of 3 machines that are all running 4.0.4.14
I've recorded a short video to show the problem:

https://youtu.be/mb6-EraQf_k
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

In the short video it looks, that you CAN drag & drop the track?!
It was added to the current position where you dropped it (at #6 - 'Black Woman') - so that looks all correct.

Why do you say it can not be dropped?
Or did I misunderstand your issue? If yes, please explain, what you expect and what is not happening as you expect it?

I think one specialty you should consider in your video is, that you are not playing a regular playlist, BUT you have used the Playlist-Mode: MediaLibrary and play that randomly.

However, I can not see some important parts of your playlist, nor can I really see 'when' (over which node) you are dropping the track etc.
I can also not see, if you have maybe sorted your playlist by some column...

But I can just see, that the dropped track is finally added to the playlist - so drag&drop seems to work.
makenote3

Post by makenote3 »

Hi Bernd, sorry for not explaining clearly. In the video I do 2 drag and drops of the track "Black Woman".

The first I drag to the bottom of the playlist, over the track "Domestic Violence" by Sandridge Band. The song doesn't get added to the playlist. (It used to appear at the bottom of the playlist no matter where I dropped a track).

The second I drag over track 4 (top of the playlist after the tracks that are loaded into the DJ players). The track loads in at track 6 slot pushing the other tracks down. I can then drag the track to the bottom but it's not what used to happen and a bit confusing for our broadcasters who are trying to set up specific playlists.

When I use F12 it places the track at the bottom of the playlist every time.

I've added a pic showing that I don't have any sorting on the list.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_1233(1).JPG
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

First you should note, that when you drop a dragged track over an existing node in the playlist, that it will always be added to that position and pushes the existing nodes down: meaning it inserts the dropped track to that position.

However, that a drop operation fails in the first place and only works the 2nd time is indeed strange. Unfortunately I am totally unable to reproduce that here - I have also tested this scenario with a few other customers and various machines. Non of them or me is experiencing such an odd behavior. I still see though, that it happens on your machine.
Drag and Drop is standard activity offered by the operating system - as such I believe, that it might be something specific to your machine/environment.

Have you ever tested the drag & drop behavior with a new and empty playlist?
It might also help, to see, if any Windows or other updates are available on your machine.

If you want, we can also arrange a TeamViewer session to take a look at your machine (in case, send me mail or PM to arrange this).