MLS backup problem

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
moogwill
MLS backup problem

Post by moogwill »

to move to our new location, I made a second server, with the same libraries, using a sync solution to get it uptodate with the original one.
when I attempt to install those machines on a new network, the file location appears in blue in the main PF window (right under the players), in the tag editor of the studio computer displays "remote files... local changes only ..."
What did I do wrong?
Note that the server "clone" got te same name than the original server.

Thanks,
T.
moogwill
Re: MLS backup problem

Post by moogwill »

That's exactly my issue, but I can't find a way to make this work porperly.

here's a second thing I just tried.
I installed an exact copy of my MLS on a second computer.

as I was previously thinking to do, the appuser msl folder has been used to overwrite over the fresh installed one
data folders are the exact copy of the original MSL DB both computers
the 2 computers are identical.
as usual my original MSL database is working perfectely

then I tried to use this second computer name as an alternative for each folder librairies in the dedicated field

when I unplugged PF isn't loading files from the MSL backup, it just freeze for a while, and files path turn red.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

When the file path in the Info Panel of the playlist is displayed in red color - this means exactly the same: the given filename location cannot be accessed. So please try to access the file location manually (as it is given) you should be able to figure out why not.

So what exact location is given (in red)?

Please explain where your physical audio files are located?

As said, maybe the 2nd MLS cannot access the paths of the physical audio files?!
moogwill

Post by moogwill »

Can it be a Dotnet framewok issue? I'm now trying to reinstall that, I'm not sure it was uptodate, is still 4.6.2 or higher ?
I'm getting back to you if that donesnt solve my problem.
thanks
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

It is currently v4.7.1

But I doubt, that it is the .Net framework, as the message you posted as well as the 'red' color of the filename clearly indicates, that the given UNC path location is inaccessible.

So please, why don't you post the info I was asking for, as this would help resolving the issue:

a) what file location in given in the playlist (which is given in red color)?
b) what file location is displayed in TAG Editor in the top text box (above the Artist)?
c) where are your physical audio files located (do they both sit separately on each MLS instance; or where else)?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I don't understand, what the real issue is?! Can you please clarify and describe what the problem is?!

However...
the blue message in the TAG Editor ("REMOTE ENTRY - LOCAL CHANGES ONLY") basically tells you, that you are currently accessing a remote media library entry, which was resolved to a local temp. file (and thus any changes to the meta data would only be saved in that local file, but not to the original file).
Note, that the MLS/PF offer the following possibility: At first the MLS send the UNC path (location) of the related file to PF. PF than tries to access this file given that UNC path. If this fails (e.g. because your network settings are not okay and the UNC path is inaccessible from that PF client), than PF can request the full file via a network transfer. Meaning the full remote file will be transferred via TCP/IP from the MLS to the PF client. PF will than store this received file in a local temp. file.
And this seems what is happening here.

So please check (in your TAG Editor) the given file location of the track (it is given in the top must text box).
This should be either a valid UNC path or a path to a local temp. folder.

If this is the case (a path to a local temp. folder), this means, that the UNC path reported by the MLS is inaccessible.
When you are on a new (MLS) machine, it might be, that it is necessary to perform a rescan of all your media libs on that machine.

Please try the accessibility of your returned UNC-paths for your remote MLS tracks - as the root cause will be, that the UNC-paths are invalid. You can see the UNC path directly within the plalyist window's Filename column.
moogwill

Post by moogwill »

Hi Bernd,

Problem's now finally solved, I made a disk image of the working one, on the second one... just easy as this ;) Anyway, that is probably something i can suggest about the future, an automated tool to backup the data base on a second server.

thanks,
T.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Well - I didn't provide any tool, since you already wrote it - it is just as easy as this - so maybe when it is so easy it is not worth it?