Update playlist when updated from a different computer without having to reopen the playlist

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
phonic
Update playlist when updated from a different computer without having to reopen the playlist

Post by phonic »

Is it currently possible to show changes in an already open playlist without having to close it and reopen again?
This would be useful for a producer to add songs that have been requested in a separate requests playlist(or even in the current active playlist).

I've noticed from options in the settings for playlists to AutoWatch playlist, but unless I'm doing something wrong it does not update any changes when I open the same playlist on a different PC and save it.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Update playlist when updated from a different computer without having to reopen the playlist

Post by radio42 »

Yes, see the 'AutoWatch Playlist References' in the general settings, section Playlist Settings.
If checked and a current playlist entry is referenced by a playlist file, that playlist file is monitored. In case the referenced playlist file is changed (e.g. from a remote location), those changes will automatically be updated within the current playlist.

This check is carried out a few seconds after a track is being played out.
phonic
Re: Update playlist when updated from a different computer without having to reopen the playlist

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 07 Dec 2019 22:55 Yes, see the 'AutoWatch Playlist References' in the general settings, section Playlist Settings.
If checked and a current playlist entry is referenced by a playlist file, that playlist file is monitored. In case the referenced playlist file is changed (e.g. from a remote location), those changes will automatically be updated within the current playlist.

This check is carried out a few seconds after a track is being played out.
Yes I have this checked, but does not update until reopened.
I have in the playlist settings both AutoWatch and history checked, but I'm wondering what it looks for? is it moderated date, or something else?

I'm not using network share, as I'm working over the internet, so It's syncing via an app to our server then updates each studio with any files changes instantly.

Update: Just re-read your reply. It waits for a file to be played first before updating? That could be the reason,
phonic

Post by phonic »

Just tested, and it updates the playlist after the current songs finishes. Could it also update when a track is loaded or will this add too much slow down?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Yes, it will always check the playlist once a track finishes.
And when one track finishes, a next track is loaded.
The playlist checking however can not be performed in between! Eg. It happens after the loading of the next track of course.
phonic

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 08 Dec 2019 00:00 Yes, it will always check the playlist once a track finishes.
And when one track finishes, a next track is loaded.
The playlist checking however can not be performed in between! Eg. It happens after the loading of the next track of course.
I've just been testing this out, and found the following issues(ProppFrexx is not using Auto Play, Auto Load or Auto Eject):

1. If you open a playlist, and load the first track in the list, then, remotely someone makes changes before the first track is played after a little delay it unloads the track and refreshes the playlist.

2.If you open the playlist, and then someone makes changes remotely before any track is loaded, and then try to load the first track, it does not load but refreshes the playlist.

However I noticed sometimes it just refreshes just by selecting tracks to load.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I am sorry, but I can not follow your use case!
Please describe the behavior you expect resp. what exactly you believe is wrong.
To my mind ProppFrexx is behaving totally logical and correct! And works exactly as designed.
Also the AutoPlay and AutoEject setting exactly works as designed.
phonic

Post by phonic »

This is what I’ve seen in the following usage scenarios:

1.Presenter in studio opens playlist for their show.
Remotely in the control room(or remote studio) changes are made and saved to the same playlist. Presenter in the studio tries to load first track and the result is: track does not load but instead ProppFrexx refreshes the playlist. Presenter tries again and this time is loads ready for play out.

2:
Presenter in the studio opens playlist for their show and loads first track ready to play out using fader start. In a remote studio(or control room) the same playlist is opened and new requests are added or moved and then saved. Back in the studio the presenter moves fader up to play the track, but does not realise track gets unloaded due to changes made remotely and playlist was refreshed and loaded track was ejected.

Is this normal behaviour?

I will see what happens if auto load is enabled to see if this fixes the issue, but most presenters don’t use this option as they have requests and need to make changes on the fly.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Just tested it here - I now see what you mean and I guess this is not okay!
I'll take a look what has changed since I last tested/implemented the feature.
phonic

Post by phonic »

As you’re looking into the code may I also just add as mentioned before(and not sure why this is):
Sometimes if a playlist is updated remotely it refreshes in the studio by what appears to be just by clicking to select tracks on the playlist. However, it’s hard to replicate. The other 2 as list in my above reply are consistent.