Play the next track in currently active playlist when overlay has finished playing

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
polp6880
Play the next track in currently active playlist when overlay has finished playing

Post by polp6880 »

Hi,

I'd like to set up a system where as soon as the overlay has been played in full, a command is sent to the currently active program playlist so the next track is played automatically.

The way I have set it up right now is that on "On Overlay Played" this control command runs: PLS_PLAY_NEXT <playlistname> - for some reason when the overlay completes, PFP keeps playing the currently active track until the end is reached, as it would normally do.

This shows what settings I have: https://share.getcloudapp.com/2Nu5JBnL

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Play the next track in currently active playlist when overlay has finished playing

Post by radio42 »

You actually won't need to use any "On Overlay Played" event or a like, as the pausing and resuming with the next track is build in.
Simply use the 'Suspend Program' option in the Overlay Editor.

Suspend Program:
If checked the current Program/Playlist will be stopped while the overlay is playing, so that when resumed it will start with the next track.
Else the current Program/Playlist will continue playing and might be attenuated while the overlay is playing in parallel.

For more info about the options, click on the '?' icon at the very top right of each dialog.
polp6880
Re: Play the next track in currently active playlist when overlay has finished playing

Post by polp6880 »

Hi Bernd,

Thanks for getting back.

I don't want to suspend the program though as the program is actually playing the bed for the overlay... that is why I want to trigger a "next track" event when the overlay is complete.

To better explain my use case, I have a program set to launch at a particular time and the program queues the intro track, the bed track and the outro track (plus an extra track in case something happens). The overlay is specifically set to play the voice track which starts a few seconds later. I want that when the overlay voice track is done playing, I trigger the next track in the program so the outro track plays.

The bed is 5 minutes long but the voice track will never exceed 3minutes but it varies in length. Currently, everything is working perfectly in terms of timing and track queuing but the outro is only triggered when the full 5-minute bed completes.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I see - so if you just want to trigger to play the next track, the command is effectively correct, except, that with PLS_PLAY_NEXT you would have to provide the name of the playlist, e.g. "PLS_PLAY_NEXT MyPlaylist".
As the name of the playlist might be dynamic if scheduled from the Program Scheduler, you might not really know this upfront.
(i.e. the current command you are using is probably not correct, as the name of the real playlist is probably not "<playlistname>" - that is just the placeholder given in the command builder)

To solve this issue, you can also simply use the PLS_CURRENT_PLAY_NEXT command.
This one doesn't take any parameter, but always references the current playlist at that moment.
polp6880

Post by polp6880 »

Bernd,

Tried this for the past 2 days and it worked flawlessly. PLS_CURRENT_PLAY_NEXT is what I needed.

Thanks a lot for your awesome support!