library History, Script history and global history

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
DSmar
library History, Script history and global history

Post by DSmar »

hello... sorry about my english... i get the trial version a few days ago and i'm tring to get started with PF... we have set a few programs that play from diferent music library, some programs plays from more than one library.. we want to play for every interval all the tracks ordered randonly, wher all are played restart the order and play all again, this may take several days... we have take a look to the "LeastTimePlayed" and "LeastRecentlyPLayed" options but we can't figure it out whats is the diferrente between the two... what is the best setting in library History, Script history and global history to achieve this.. we want that the music repeat the less posible.. Thanks, and again. sorry about my english... Thanks.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: library History, Script history and global history

Post by radio42 »

The difference between them is, that LeastRecentlyPlayed uses the last Play Date of the track; where as LeastTimesPlayed uses the total Play Counter (which has a bias towards newly added tracks).
As such in your case I’d recommend LeastRecentlyPlayed.

For the History I suggest to watch the related Tutorial video, see the General section here in the forum.
DSmar

Post by DSmar »

Thanks for the reply.. we take a look to the tutorials... Regarding the "LeastRecentlyPlayed" option, what is the time that must pass for a track to play again? or the track selected is the one with the longest time without playing? Wouldn't this result in an almost sequential list? Thank you very much.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Yes you are totally right!
Therefore I sort the tracks exactly by play date and time but than pinch a random one out of the last 12 hour segment. This to avoid a sequential playout, but give a certain randomness.
In my scripts I even here and there use the native Random mode for the same media lib, to even get a greater randomization by still mostly using the LeastRecentlyPlayed mode, which gives a good blend.

Also note, that when using the LeastRecentlyPlayed mode you typically can lower your history settings.