hour long DJ mixes advice?

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
radio42
Site Admin
Re: hour long DJ mixes advice?

Post by radio42 »

This is a script option, not a script-line option.

I might not fully understand your requirement. If your DJ mixes never get updated, but are static, you could also create a folder based media lib and then simply use the Sequential script-line Mode instead.
Else the current approach is fine.
tiwillti

Post by tiwillti »

Hello everyone, I have a newbie question, and I'm sorry if it's a wrong topic to ask it. I am making my own mixes and trying to figure out if I need to buy a mixer. I think I like Roland DJ-99. So if there's someone who used it, or you have any recommendations, please share it with me.
LESH FM

Post by LESH FM »

Hi @radio42

I might not fully understand your requirement

Essentially, i have two types of DJS - ones that give me new mixes each and every week and ones that have given me an entire database that i can play with as back up and then sometimes they send me new mixes but its not 100% guaranteed that they do.

what i am trying to get the system to do is to read the folder in question then play the most recent mix, say the one that the dj sent me which i have been doing via "Creation time" but then next week, if they dont sent me a new mix to go to the next mix as per the creation time rule (newest to oldest). say i have 10 mixes and for 3 weeks the Dj send me 3 new mixes so the system will play the newest mixes for 3 weeks then week 4, they dont send me a mix, i want the system to then not play the last 3 mixes it has but revert to the older mixes in the folder and play the older ones (As per the creation time rule - newest to oldest) then, if it gets to the end of the 10 total mixes, start again from the start

with the other DJS that dont send me mixes the only way that i have been able to make this work is to "loadfolder" via the random rule and "add file suppression" so that really only gives me random mixes played at any time with deleting the history which, could result in DJ mixes being played 3 days in a row of the same randomly chosen mix as the history is not there.

Apologies if this is long winded but i know what i want to do can be done im just trying to figure out how. :)
LESH FM

Post by LESH FM »

Hi @tiwillti

are you using psychical turntables (CDJS or even Vinyl)? if so, a mixer is def recommended.

depending on budget the roland is a good mixer but im using the DJM900 :)

Hope this helps
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

There is currently no rule to play the same (newest) mix eg. 3 times in a row and then use ‚older‘ mixes.

So for DJs sending you new mixes every week you can simply use the LoadFolder command as the first script-line, sorted by CreationDate and just pick one (count=1). Setup a script history with a size of 1 and strict checks.
As a 2nd script-line use either a media lib (can be a folder based media lib), which contains the database of tracks provided by the DJ or if not provided use your own media lib. Make sure to use the LastRecentlyPlayed script-line mode. This ensures really random playback.
Also make sure to set the script‘s LoopLine parameter to 2!