Transfering Libraries & appdata files to another computer

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
D3R3K
Transfering Libraries & appdata files to another computer

Post by D3R3K »

Hi Bernd,

Trying to transfer all files to another computer and having problems.
1. Successfully transferred the master folder (includes all media libraries) from machine 1 to machine 2
2. Successfully transferred the appdata folder (includes all files) from machine 1 to machine 2
3. Open ProppFrexx on machine 2 and go to media libraries. All links are broken (see below)
media_error.png
4. Went to appdata folder and accessed file (ProppFrexx ONAIR.scriptlibs) and corrected the user (replaced \derek\ with \tom\ in the path. (see below but changes not reflected in this screengrab)
notepad_edit.png
5. Noticed when i saved the file, the extension is missing from file title.
extension missing.png
6. I manually added the .scriptlibs to the title. OPen up ProppFrexx, go to media libraries and the errors are gone but no libraries appear.

Please help us properly transfer files from machine 1 to machine 2, what files need to be edited to fix broken links. Also, is it a problem that the file is now associated with notepad? Can't seem to get it back to "Pick An App" mode.

Thanks,
Derek
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Transfering Libraries & appdata files to another computer

Post by radio42 »

Your new computer has a different file structure than the old PC.
Seems you have saved the files and folders to a different user folder resp. the user on the new PC is different.
As such of course all references are different.
But you can simply add all media and script-libraries manually again to ProppFrexx.
Seems there are only a few media-libs to add manually and also a few script-libs as well. As such, no big deal.
D3R3K

Post by D3R3K »

Hi Bernd,

Manually rebuilding the libraries is exactly what I am trying to avoid! Yes, there is one difference in the file path as indicated in the second pic above. Why can't \derek\ be replaced with \tom\ in the "ProppFrexx ONAIR.scriptlibs" file? Isn't this telling ProppFrexx where to look for the libraries?

Path in Machine 1
C:\Users\derek\Desktop\97 UNDERGROUND\1 ARTIST ID TOP OF HOUR" value="0||False|True|False|28|True|ARTIST ID - TOP OF HOUR||6|ARTIST ID" />

Path in Machine 2 (confirmed by viewing properties in the 97 Underground folder on the desktop)
C:\Users\tom\Desktop\97 UNDERGROUND\1 ARTIST ID TOP OF HOUR" value="0||False|True|False|28|True|ARTIST ID - TOP OF HOUR||6|ARTIST ID" />

Recreating the libraries is the ONLY way?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

No you can of course also edit the .scriptlibs manually. Should work.
With Media Libs this might be a bit more tricky, in case also playlist based media libs (.pfp files) might be effected. Playlist files store relative path positions to the audio files....
D3R3K

Post by D3R3K »

I did edit the .scriptlibs manually before contacting you. It resolved the broken errors but did not show ANY libraries. Is there another file I need to edit?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Then you made some mistakes maybe?! I don’t know and I guess it is hard to say. You also mentioned you saved them incorrectly without the extension.
I am also not sure what you mean my „ did not show ANY libraries „. A script only contains script-lines, which might reference media libraries.
In your first screenshot you have shown those broken media libs. But you never wrote that you also fixed those!! As written in my post above: you also need to modify and adjust the .medialibs file! Not only the .scriptlibs file!
D3R3K

Post by D3R3K »

No i didn't save them incorrectly. the files that needed editing had no associations with them. When i doubleclicked the file to open, was asked to pick a program to open the file. I chose notepad, it opened, i edited the path correctly then saved it. THEN...noticed that the extension was not in the title. SO...i then edited the title and added the extension to the title. After doing this, i went to media libraries and ALL of the broken links were gone. So now the window is empty (no broken links, no media libraries, a blank window ready to manually add the libraries again which is what i was trying to avoid.

NOTE: I have since opened EVERY file one by one in the appdata folder. After opening a file, i did a ctrl+F (FIND) and searched for \derek\. Every instance found in every file that had a path with my name in it was replaced with the correct info. I have eradicated myself from every file!!!

Also having the following problem on machine 2 with adverts & slots:
it is telling me to sync the library...
advert sync.png
i select "yes" and get the following message...
error.png
I appreciate the help that you have offered but at an extremely frustrated state again. I have been at this for 6 weeks and was hoping we would be moving forward with purchasing & licensing but all I can ever report back to my client is "more issues to work out"! I am confident that your software is a great solution to our needs but the forum method to get help is not working for me. I have watched EVERY video several times and only been able to make small progress.

Do you offer PAID support that we can get you to help us get launched? I have been working on this from home, 50 miles away from the actual studio it will be installed. The machine 1 & 2 scenario I am currently sharing with you is copying the progress (or lack of) remotely from my home machine to a machine in the production room of studio location. Will we run into these same problems when copying to the actual main studio machine after purchase? I'm really about to give up on it all Bernd.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Regarding the screenshot issues - which also seems to have been created due to the copy action:
Please close the Advert Management.
Now go to ProppFrexx ONAIR and go to the Scheduler ribbon tab and open the Overlay Scheduler, BUT hold down the CTRL+ALT key together when clicking on the Open Overlay Scheduler button!
This will force a release of any existing lock (which should prevent two users accessing the scheduler in parallel and overwriting each other).

Now you should be able to to open the Advert Management again without issues.

I’ll see, if I can get you a consultant making an offer for you, as I guess it is not only a single issue, but more a general setup where you need help?!
D3R3K

Post by D3R3K »

HI Bernd,

Any luck on putting me in touch with a current user that is proficient in the set up of multiple instances of proppfrexx at different locations? I need best practice advice to accomplish the following:

1. Set up ProppFrexx on Machine A (My Home Computer) as desired
2. Copy all files from Machine A (My Home Computer) to Machine B (Production Studio)
3. Copy all files from Machine B (Production Studio) to Machine C (Main Studio)
4. Copy all files from Machine C (Main Studio) to all Machines of talent voice tracking from remote locations (home studios)

Questions:
If we decide to license ProppFrexx to an external hard drive for the Main Studio, will this create a problem with the above plan to copy from machine to machine? In other words all Machines with ProppFrexx installed will have "C" as the drive so the path might look like C:\Users\Radio\....... but if ProppFrexx is installed on an external hard drive in the Main Studio then the path might be G:\Users\Radio. I have painfully learned that if the paths don't match EXACTLY then broken links occur. How do we avoid this?

Our reasoning for installing/licensing to an external hard drive in the main studio is in the event the computer died, we could quickly swap out the PC and plug the external drive into a new PC and be up and running quicker than to install ALL necessary files on New PC and get License moved to that NEW machine. Is this a real concern and necessary or not? Is there a better way to do this?

Your guidance is appreciated. Thanks!
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

You should have received a mail from a consultant on the SAME day. I have also and again send you a primate message from him, so it sounds, that you have never received or replied to that mail?! Please check again.

Well you can not simply copy all config files, e.g. the mixer setup and sound card configuration will at least be different.
So only your main files and folders should be synced, like media and script libraries as well as your scheduler files.
Either by putting them all on a shared folder inside your studio network or a like.

An better alternative to a hard disk registration is the USB device registration mode.