Stream on LAN instable

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
JBWest
Stream on LAN instable

Post by JBWest »

Hello all,

Due to Covid our company Christmas party is canceled. Instead of a party we want to make a “Christmas radio show” which is broadcasted on the company’s radio systems. I have a basic knowledge of professional audio systems, networking an ProppFrexx.
In order to do so I have a 16 channel analog mixer for mics and players, routed the output through a iRig duo pro to a Intel NUC which runs ProppFrexx to create a homecast MP3 stream.
When I open the stream on a random device in the network (for example via VLC or Win media player) it works perfectly. When I open the stream on a second and third device the stream becomes instable and the audio stutters on all devices. The RAM, CPU and network is not overloaded by far.

My question is: How can I find out what is wrong with my setup, and how can I built a better stream?
I need to connect at least 6 devices to broadcast company-wide.

I hope you can help me.
Best regards,
Joël
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Stream on LAN instable

Post by radio42 »

I guess there is no error in your setup. Except your network can not cope with a steady bandwidth.
What you explain is a typical network issue.
You might want to try to do the following:

A) increase the buffer size in you general settings for the Hometaste der in the Steaming section
B) reduce the encoding Bitrate, eg. to 64kbps and try again, so see if that works better (if yes this is a kind sign, that the network indeed has an issue)
C) setup a local SHOUTcast or ICEcast server and change your streaming to those within ProppFrexx.

I guess the one or the other option will help.
JBWest
Re: Stream on LAN instable

Post by JBWest »

Thanks for the quick reply. Option A and B did the trick!
I guess our network is a bit less steady than we thought.