music scripts

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
D3R3K
music scripts

Post by D3R3K »

Hi Bernd, I watched the video that talked about scripts. It said the if you had small music libraries that the mode should be last recently played and on options suppressed history check and forced library history check. That is not always the case so if i had two music categories one with 75 and the other with 400 songs in their particular libraries, what would you suggest the mode and option setting be..Thanks
radio42
Site Admin
Re: music scripts

Post by radio42 »

There is not always a general rule! E.g. what is small?
In the videos small means less that your history size, e.g. 40 tracks.
In order to give you an answer - my question would be: What do you want to achieve?!

Note, that the LeastRecentlyPlayed resp. LeastTimesPlayed modes do have bias towards newly added tracks.
The best advice is to play around with the Script-Test function and see, if the result fits your expectation.
The advice in the video was to prevent skips in the script-lines, which might occur in case your media lib is smaller than your specific history size.
But with a lib containing 400 tracks, I assume the normal random mode should be fine.
I also assume that a global history size of around 50 is typically good. And typically a script history or media lib history is almost never needed.
E.g. if you would set a global history to 100, it is already bigger than you 75-track lib!
D3R3K

Post by D3R3K »

to answer your question i want the very small libs to go through all the items in the lib once without repeating libs there have under 20
and i jut want the best rotation for the 400 and 75 libs i have tried all kinds of situations and just wat to set it and let it alone
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

If you want a lib go thru all tracks without repeating them, this is the Sequential mode!
D3R3K

Post by D3R3K »

no matter how many items are in the lib? and if it is set to sequential what should the options be set to for going through all tracks?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

What is the best solution for you?!
Can you define that?!
If it means good random, I would say for bigger libs like 400 or more tracks, the Random using a global history of 50+ history entries is good.
And for medium libs (below 400) the LeastRecentlyPlayed mode is fine.

But as said: the options are too many and requirement to diverse to give you a generic answer.
D3R3K

Post by D3R3K »

ok got it but what should the options be set at for those two scriptlines
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

For Sequential mode it can be SuppressHistoryCheck!
For the large lib it should be on; and for the medium you have to decide yourself! E.g. I don't know all your history rules and what you want to reach and if there is a likelihood, that too many or all tracks from that lib might result in skipping that lib.
As said now many times, there is NO general rule you can simply follow, but a bit of trial and knowledge of your libs and tracks and quality of the meta data is reqired... so in the end you must decide, what is/works best for you.