Licence issue

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Joche
Licence issue

Post by Joche »

Hi,
I have a slight problem that I wonder if there are a solution for.

I use a Mac computer for my studiowork. I run windows both with parallels (i e a virtual machine in the mac enviroment) and with bootcamp (booting up in windows only). I would love the ability to use PFOA in both ways, but since the ident is different when booting with bootcamp and parallels its not possible. It is the same windows license running on both instances. I guess a USB-license would be a solution, but i would prefer if there is another way since my usb-ports are limited.
So, is there a way to solve my problem? :)
Station manager | THE BEAT, Sweden | www.thebeat.se
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Licence issue

Post by radio42 »

So far, I do not see any other method than using the USB-Device mode, but even that is to be tested!
Honestly, this is a pretty ugly edge case, as I would assume to use one fixed 'hardware/OS' and the license can only be bound to that.
In your case you are using two different virtual operating systems and thus it might not be fully supported.
Joche

Post by Joche »

I don't know exactly how the USB-device work but what do you think would make it not work? I mean, for PFOA it would only be two different idents, same as if I used two different machines, or? :)
I would be interested in trying it out it, assuming it would only require the usb-device to be connected while using PFOA.
Otherwise I will need to do a decision on where to run PFOA - and you might have to change my license again. :)
Station manager | THE BEAT, Sweden | www.thebeat.se
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

It depends on the OS and how it reads the serial number of the USB device.
If it is a good USB device, that serial number should be read correctly and can be used (meaning it would for both cases generate the same Ident-Number) - but cheap devices might create an incorrect virtual serial based on the OS implementation.
Also note, that it would in any case be impossible to use it in parallel - the USB registration is mainly be designed for identical backup machine.
In addition the general license rule is, that you need a license for each instance/seat resp. PC.
And yes, ProppFrexx requires the USB-Device to be present all the time while ProppFrexx is in use!