Takes many days before new music is played

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Takes many days before new music is played

Post by radio42 »

When anything is updated outside the media lib (you could still do the tagging in the lib, e.g. open the lib as a playlist and do your editing here), than you would need to rescan the lib.
When AutoWatch is turned even an external Tag editing should be detected.

But your real issue seems to be the pretty large global history.
JWvanGulik

Post by JWvanGulik »

Hi Bernd, still something is bothering me. When I run a test script, the system comes with a containment that I do not understand. In below example you can see that Michael Jackson - Ease on down the road is contained because it is in the "MaxHistory=500" setting. But this particular song is never played yet. Is it possible that PF uses the artists in the "MaxHistory" list (500 in my case) to contain songs of that particular artist instead of the Artist history (250 in my case)? This could explain that this song is not played for over a week now. /JW
Attachments
2021-02-17_08h15_39.jpg
JWvanGulik

Post by JWvanGulik »

I found something else. The "_global_.xspf" file is not updated anymore since two weeks. I did not change anything in the settings for the global song history, other than lowering the total number (from 1000 to 500, as discussed before). Any idea why this "_global_.xspf" file is not updated anymore? /JW
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

No. Should be updated and a short test here also revealed, that it is updated here just fine. So not sure, what it could be in your case. The global history just works as designed.
Have you opened the global history (not the file you mentioned). Eg. by opening it from the Tools ribbon tab, button Show Global History ? What is happening here when you click on Refresh between the operations?

Also note, that the file is not saved immediately. This depends on you Global History Options as defined in the general settings, section Logging/History.
JWvanGulik

Post by JWvanGulik »

Hi Bernd, that is clear. The file is updated every two entries and now I've reconnected the "Keep Global History Persistent" to the folder again (where it already was connected to). Now it works fine. /JW
JWvanGulik

Post by JWvanGulik »

I noticed that when I add music tracks, they immediately are added to the Global Song History (without being played in the script). After all this discussion I think that this is the real problem why it takes so long until newly added tracks are played. I had the "Add to Global History" option in the "Consider manual added tracks" part of "Global History Options" set to "Always". I assumed that this would only result in adding these tracks to the GSH in case that I added a track manually to the current playing playlist. I now have the feeling that even when a track is PFL listened to (when adding information to the track) it is added to the GSH in case of this "Always" setting. I changed it now to "Only at Autoplay". Do you think this is the solution to my problem? /JW
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

No, nothing is being added to the Global History immediately by default!
Not sure, what more you have defined in the Global History Options?
Check, if you accidentally set the "Add to Global History" to 'Always' - only this might explain it?
I.e. set this to 'Only At Scripting' (default) or to 'Only at AutoPlay'?
JWvanGulik

Post by JWvanGulik »

As explained I now have it set to "Only At Autoplay" (see attached), but it was set to "Always". I did not expect PF with the setting "Always" to add tracks to the GSH even when only played in PFL.
Attachments
GSH.jpg
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

It says "Consider manual added Tracks", that is what we are doing here.
Click on the '?' icon at the top right...

Consider manual added Tracks:

Add to Global History: (Add to Global History)
Select if tracks manually added to a playlist should be added to the global song history.

None: Tracks manually added will never be added to the global song history.

Only At AutoPlay: Tracks manually added will only be added to the global song history if AutoPlay is ON.

Only At Scripting: Tracks manually added will only be added to the global song history if the resp. playlist is currently running in scripting mode.

Always: Tracks manually added will always be added to the global song history.

As you can see...it worked as designed!
JWvanGulik

Post by JWvanGulik »

Hi Bernd, thanks for your reply. One final remark from my side on this topic. I did not manually add these new tracks to the on-air playlist, only listened in PFL for adding information to the TAG. In my opinion this should not result in adding to the GSH, even in the event that the "Consider manual added tracks" is set to "Always". BRJW