Auto Watch feature

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Farbo
Auto Watch feature

Post by Farbo »

Bernd, I realised AutoWatch feature is not working as before until I set to rescan media libraries at startup. I thought AutoWatch works the way when new items are added or removed to folder based library, PF will recognize the change. Nowadays it does not work this way.
Peter
Farbo
Re: Auto Watch feature

Post by Farbo »

I am using folder based library. What is not working? When I add new tracks to that library, i.e. physical files, or remove some of them from folder I can not see that change in PF. So what for is Auto Watch feature concretely?
Peter
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

Bernd, can it have something to do with fact that some files were write protected? I found it out just now.
Peter
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

You are probably adding new tracks to the folder while ProppFrexx is not running?!
In such case (as said above) the 'AutoWatch' feature is of course not working (as ProppFrexx is not running ;-)

'AutoWatch' of course can only work while ProppFrexx is running - and in such case it working just fine.

Adding new files or modifying existing files within a folder being used by a media lib while ProppFrexx is NOT running are of course not recognized!
That's why the 'rescan' option is actually there.

If files are write protected they should still be readable, but no TAG data whatsoever can be saved to them.
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

OK, I get it. Thank you Bernd.
Peter
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

It does!
However, the AutoWatch feature can of course only track changes made once the media lib was initialized and loaded.
So please explain this in a bit more detail what exactly is not working for you?
a) What type of media library are you using (folder based, playlist based,...)?
b) What exactly is not working?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

In v3.0.11.13 the behaviour changed:
If 'AutoWatch' is enabled for a folder based media library, this will now also ensure a rescan at startup, so that any new or modified files are detected automatically!
Adger

Post by Adger »

I'm either stupid (possible) or blind (likely) but I happen to be unable to make PFOA add newly introduced tracks to its lib. That is, I add files to the directory tree while PFOA is not running and want to "find" them with PFOA. I have "Rescan at Startup" enabled within Settings - Folders - Media and Cardwall and it does actually NOT rescan (and include) the newly added fies. Manually hitting the green doublearrows does make PFOA do something but the files are still not found. If - and that's what I am guessing - there is a different place to make PFOA actually perform a "Scan Directory & Include New Files" it would help me a lot to know where.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I guess it is the 'Auto Watch' feature (as explained above) which needs to be enabled.
You can define it per individual media library. E.g. make a double-click on a defined, additional media library in the Media Library Management dialog to edit its settings.