devices sync question

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
bebo_saed
devices sync question

Post by bebo_saed »

Hello Bernd,

i'm thinking of making a backup process between two devices so as to be used in a case of a pc failure, i'll explain to you what i'm up to and please give me your help and advice.

the aim of the process is which if the main pc containing PFOA failed for a hardware or a software error, another pc will take it's place immediately which contains the same library, scripts, program scheduler and advertising scheduler. i'll control the audio mixing process by an external mixer with fader for each pc.

how i'm thinking of doing it:

i'll connect an external hard disk which will contain my media library of songs, jingles and Ads to a NAS adapter which will be accessible from both , i'll map the external hard drive to both PCs so it will act as internal Hard disk accessible for both of them, i'll add my libraries from the external one to PFOA with auto watch function so as any changes will affect both of the PCs.

for each device there is a private folder for settings (the one in USERS folder) and here is my problem, i know that hardware changes really affect PFOA so i can't just take this folder and copy it to the other pc, a crash will happen, but if i only select the files i want such as the scheduler, scripts and advertising manager files, it will work on both of them.

my question is: how can i when making a change in the script, scheduler, overlays or the advertising manager in one pc the other device work on it automatically with no need to copy and paste the files from one pc to another, as it a media library with auto watch options? can it be done?

Waiting for your advice and thanks in advance...
bebo_saed
Re: devices sync question

Post by bebo_saed »

Thanks Bernd, Your idea for TCP remote control is more efficient than man scenario, i'll go for it and if i had any difficulties i'll get back to you hoping that you answer my inquiries..

Best Regards and many Thanks :)
radio42
Site Admin
Re: devices sync question

Post by radio42 »

First:
When using a NAS drive or any other network related storage (like a mapped drive on a shared network), make sure, that this device is rather fast!
E.g. make sure it is not hybernating after some time (sleep mode) and that is is connected via a really fast network adapter, e.g. a GB connection.
I/O speed is often cruial when it comes to low-latency or real-time audio playback, especially, if multiple 'streams' (audio files) are playing in parallel - as in these cases the I/O sub-system must always be fast enough to always deliver the sample data fast enough.

However, your above mentioned scenario can be achieved by placing the related config files also to a shared and common folder (accessible by all clients). As such all clients would use the exact same files.
E.g.:
- the scheduler calendar file can be configured, so that all clients use the same
- same for the advertising storage path
- same for the script files
- same for the media library files

Note, ProppFrexx might automatically reload the scripts and media libraries files in fixed intervals, e.g. every 12 hours (see general settings, section 'Folders/Libraries' - Library Automation Options).
The program scheduler as well as the advertising storage is by default reloaded automatically every day at around 23:41h.

In addition (when operation with multiple ProppFrexx instances, e.g. in a multi studio environment) you might use the Remote Client feature of ProppFrexx.
You can enable this feature you must have the 'TCP Remote Control' enabled on each client! (see general settings, section 'GPIO/Remoting'.
If the TCP Server is enabled, you can assign new client within the 'Remote Control Monitor' (RCM).
The 'Remote Control Monitor' (RCM) is available by clicking on the 'RCM' button within the Mixer window (main).
This opens a popup window with a 'Manage Remote Clients...' buttons - click on that one!
In the 'Remote Client Manager' you can now assign your other ProppFrexx instances (client).

Once you have defined those remote clients and have the TCP Remote Server enabled, ProppFrexx automatically sends update notifications to those clients whenever you changed your Advertising Storage or your Program Scheduler - ensuring all clients are always 'in sync'.