Sidechain compression

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
bebo_saed
Sidechain compression

Post by bebo_saed »

Hello Bernd,

is there any cance that there is a sidechain compression technique to apply on the music while the announcer talks, that would be very elegant option to have in PFOA

Thanks
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Sidechain compression

Post by radio42 »

Can you explain a bit what you would like to achieve with the sidechain compression (I assume you want to sidechain a mixer-input audio signal to a mixer-output signal).
Do you want to achieve some kind of 'automatic audio attemuation' based on the input?
bebo_saed

Post by bebo_saed »

Yes exactly, For example in ON Air, if u have mic input 1 routed to Mic output 1 from my sound card and i have music output 2 connected to music output 2, when the announcer starts to talk, the music is being attenuated (the right term for it to be compressed) by a value let's say -10 db, attack, release options are important also so that's why i prefer a compressor side chained to the mic input, is that possible some way in PFOA?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Currently this is not supported/possible - as this typically doesn't lead to really good results (due to the involved latency and the fact, that the loudness of the voice input is so different, that this would typically result in a pumping output) - but I'll take a look...
bebo_saed

Post by bebo_saed »

Thanks Bernd, it will be a very good feature to have in PFOA hope that you can implement it soon.
bebo_saed

Post by bebo_saed »

Hi Bernd, any updates?

THX :)
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

No, not yet...