History check

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
guytrance
History check

Post by guytrance »

I have a question regarding the software..

I want to run a specific program every day, that program needs to run a file from a certain folder, and that folder have for example 30 files which are numbered "001 , 002 , 003" etc'..

How or what is the feature in this software that make the program play one of these files everyday at a given time.. only skipping the one that played yesterday?

For example:

Sunday 8pm=001
Monday 8pm=002
Tuesday 8pm=003

I didn't quite get how the history check works, and if this is what i need.
Thank you!
radio42
Site Admin
Re: History check

Post by radio42 »

I am not fully sure if I understand exactly what you try to achieve - so can you please try to clarify?
- Do you want to play a different file on each day of the week (kind of rotating all available files sequentially and then start all over again)?
- Do you want to assign a fixed filename to a certain date (e.g. 1st of the month = file 001, 2nd of the month = file 002, etc.)?
- Do you want to play a random file (out of the available), but only exclude/skip the file which was played yesterday?

There are several ways to achieve the one or the other option...and with some a history might be used and with other no history is needed at all.

In general:
A history is simply a collection of tracks.
When querying new tracks, the new tracks might be checked, if they exist in the history...and if...this picked track might be skipped and a new track might be picked instead.
There are 3 histories available:
1) a Media Library related history
2) a Script related history
3) a Global history
1 and 2 are working purely on 'filenames' - meaning they use a quick and fast check by simply comparing the filename.
A such, a track is skipped, if the exact same track (file) is picked again.
3 (the global history) works on much more attributes (see the general settings for details), ie.the filename, title, artist and album optionally using a relaxed or strict matching check.

In addition to the history, you have the following options:
- sequentially (instead of randomly) pick a track from a certain media library
- directly pick a file based on a certain marco value (e.g. convert a day of the week to a number and use that as the filename)

As such there might be various option to your requirement...but as I am not really sure about what exactly you want to do...it is a bit hard to advice the right one ;-)
guytrance

Post by guytrance »

Thank you for your reply :)

What I meant is this:

I have a folder that contains tracks with sequential titles like so: "001" "002" 003" etc' etc'

I want to create a daily show at a specific time, that will load that folder, and every day the script will play the next track, by skipping the one that was played yesterday.

So I need 001 to be played on Sunday, and 002 to be played on Monday and so on.

Basically a sequential play of the files in the folder, but each day the next file in the list, without me having to manually delete the last one.

How do I go about doing this?

Hope I was more clear :)
Thank you!
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

OKi,
you might do the following to achieve this:

- Create a folder-based media library (using the folder containing your entries)
- Set a media library history to a 'History' value of -1 !
(a value of -1 sets the song history to the total number of tracks minus one)
- Optionally set the 'Sorting' option to 'Filename (A to Z)'

Now create script with (at least) the following script-line:
- Sequential, YourMediaLib, Count=1, Options=SupressHistoryCheck+ForceLibraryHistoryCheck

This script-line will by default pick the tracks in sequential order - meaning each time a track is picked from your media library it is picking the 'next' entry and once all tracks have been used it starts back again at the beginning.
At this point not even a history would be needed! As the 'Sequential' action already ensures this!

The media library history is ONLY needed in case you start/stop ProppFrexx (or reboot your machine) in between.
In order to make the media history persistent, make sure to check the option 'Keep Song Histories Persistent' in the general settings, section 'Folders/Libraries'!
The -1 media library history value now ensures, that the history leaves exactly space for one entry not being contained in the history.
And the script-line option (SupressHistoryCheck+ForceLibraryHistoryCheck) ensures, that for this script-line effectively ONLY the media library history is used - but not any other history (e.g. the global history)!