Setup commercial breaks and other questions

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
hdradio
Setup commercial breaks and other questions

Post by hdradio »

Hello
I am trying to setup proppfrexx and I have some questions.

Suppose we have:
J1 : random jingle from playlist 1
J2 : random jingle from playlist 2
HH : Hour announcement
ID : Random Station ID from a playlist
CC : commercial

I need to do the following:
Every hh:00 and hh:30 have to play : J1,HH,ID,CC,CC,J2
Sometimes there is not any commercial at a slot.
But again have to play J1,HH,ID,J2.
If I setup a script (S1) that plays a J1,HH,ID,J2 then when there is a commercial at that hour, the result will be J1,HH,ID,J2,CC,CC,J2. I don't want the J2 in the middle.
By the way I can't find how to play J2 after the commercials.
Also commercials must play at other times like hh:15 in form J1,CC,CC,J2.
One more question is about the priority of the playing items.
If I setup the overlay to play the script (S1) at hh:00 and hh:30 and also schedule the commercials to play at the same time, what will play first ? Is there a way to control the priority of the same time items ?

A few more questions :
How can a scheduled program start to play when the application is started ?
Is it possible when using the expression builder to display the number of songs found?
When a new program is scheduled and it's time to start, do I have to stop and start the scheduler to start the new program ? Because it doesn't automaticaly close currently playing list and start the new one.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Setup commercial breaks and other questions

Post by radio42 »

It sounds like today you are using a Script (S1) plus you are using the Overlay Scheduler in which you have scheduled your commercials?!

A lot of questions...I'll try to wrap them up...

a) Commercials:
In order to plan and manage commercials you might want to use the "Advertising and News Management" - you are probably already doing so.
Adverts are groups with a so called "AdvertSlot".
A Partner-Campaign is therefore added/assigned to an AdvertSlot, so that you know for any possible target date, which Campaigns are assigned to the AdvertSlot.
As such an AdvertSlot plus a given date tells the system 'what adverts' to play - you name this "CC" above.

An AdvertSlot and also a Campaign has various settings, incl. Openener/Closer Tracks etc.
But your requirements go a little beyond this...which can be solved, see below...

By default an 'AdvertSlot' might be assigned to an Overlay Scheduler Entry - but it doesn't have to be!
So please don't do so, as your requirements require some other (script based) solution.

As such, use the "Advertising and News Management" to define your Partners, Campaigns and AdvertSlots - but do NOT use the Overlay Scheduler to generate advert entries here!

b) Within ProppFrexx ONAIR: create a 'Script' to define the full sequence: J1,HH,ID,CC,CC,J2
Use the 'Advert' mode/action to reference a CC (AdvertSlot).
J1, J2 and ID are simple 'Randon' action. HH is a 'LoadTrack' action.
Now you have a couple of choices to use that script further..

1. You can expand the script with additional script-lines (which then represent your effective program)
and then use it as regular Program Scheduler items

2. You can use that 'Script' directly as an Overlay Scheduler Entry (Type = Script).
and optionally specify the 'AsPlaylistInsert' option - which means, that the overlay tracks will be added to the current playlist instead of being played in the Overlay-Player.

How can a scheduled program start to play when the application is started ?
Is it possible when using the expression builder to display the number of songs found?
When a new program is scheduled and it's time to start, do I have to stop and start the scheduler to start the new program ? Because it doesn't automaticaly close currently playing list and start the new one.
Hello
I am trying to setup proppfrexx and I have some questions.

Suppose we have:
J1 : random jingle from playlist 1
J2 : random jingle from playlist 2
HH : Hour announcement
ID : Random Station ID from a playlist
CC : commercial

I need to do the following:
Every hh:00 and hh:30 have to play : J1,HH,ID,CC,CC,J2
Sometimes there is not any commercial at a slot.
But again have to play J1,HH,ID,J2.
If I setup a script (S1) that plays a J1,HH,ID,J2 then when there is a commercial at that hour, the result will be J1,HH,ID,J2,CC,CC,J2. I don't want the J2 in the middle.
By the way I can't find how to play J2 after the commercials.
Also commercials must play at other times like hh:15 in form J1,CC,CC,J2.
One more question is about the priority of the playing items.
If I setup the overlay to play the script (S1) at hh:00 and hh:30 and also schedule the commercials to play at the same time, what will play first ? Is there a way to control the priority of the same time items ?

c)How can a scheduled program start to play when the application is started ?
General Settings, section 'Scripts/Scheduler' - 'Auto Start Scheduler'.

d) Is it possible when using the expression builder to display the number of songs found?
When using it from within the Script-Editor (eg. with the 'Random' action) you will find a 'Test' button in the dialog...
Else go to the 'Find Window', select the resp. media library you want to specifically test (or leave it to <All>) and the perform the search...the result window will tell you all you need, including the total number of tracks found in its status bar.

e) When a new program is scheduled and it's time to start, do I have to stop and start the scheduler to start the new program ? Because it doesn't automatically close currently playing list and start the new one.
No!
I guess your observation is not fully correct.
The scheduler automatically closes any previous playlist window it has automatically created (with the previous program).
But it doesn't close playlist windows you might have created manually.

In addition you might use the 'Start Type = TimeUpdateSync' option for your Program Scheduler Entries.
Instead of starting the program in a new playlist window any existing scheduler playlist window will be reused and a TimeUpdateSync entry is used to change the running script.
hdradio

Post by hdradio »

Before I try your suggestions I have some more questions:
How do I delete all slots and overlays created by Advert Pattern Wizard ?
How do I create 96 slots of the day ? (24 hours * 4 slots each hour)
Do I have to create an overlay with the script J1,HH,ID,CC,CC,J2 for each slot ? So 96 overlays for the day?
What if there are not ads for a slot but there is only the overlay ?

What is I want to play a slot earlier or later ? For example I am in an interview, the time is 10:15 and I want to play the 10:30 ads so I won't interrupt our conversation ? Also the opposite, delay the playback of ads let's say for 20 minutes because of the interesting conversation ?
c)How can a scheduled program start to play when the application is started ?
General Settings, section 'Scripts/Scheduler' - 'Auto Start Scheduler'.
I have set this but the application starts, loads some titles to list but it doesn't start playing automatically.

Also can the Test button exist in Advanced Filter/Find Expression Builder ?
(But I see also that in Filter/Find Expression Test Results there is not any number of found tracks. Just the list of the titles found).
hdradio

Post by hdradio »

In that case you also need 96 scripts! One for each Overlay Scheduler Entry using a different AdvertSlot with its 'Advert' script-line.
It's too complicated!
Then the 'CC' (the 'Advert' script-line) wouldn't result in any entries and skipped, meaning only the 'other' (remaining) script-line would be evaluated.
So the result will be J1 J2 ! An opener jingle and a closer jingle is not something I realy need in a program flow.
If you are using the Overlay-Player (not using the 'AsPlaylistInsert' option) you can select the 'AllowDelay' option.
What if I want to play earlier ?
And what is the maximum delay ?
Which dialog are you referring to?
Find window. It displays the found tracks but not the number of tracks.

About auto start: I have the script StartType Auto because this is how I want the script to start when the scheduler is running and that script has to start.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

It's too complicated!
I don't think so, as this is a one time job and will only take a few minutes up to an hour to do so!
And as said, its only needed, if you really want it that detailed...else you can group them.

An alternative is also to define your Commercials and your Jingle/TopOfTheHour stuff in two separate overlays.
In that case you can use the 'Advert Pattern Wizard' for your commercials - but that still leaves you with defining the other overlays manually...
So the result will be J1 J2 ! An opener jingle and a closer jingle is not something I realy need in a program flow.
Then you should be more precise and exactly explain hat you want!
I assumed, that the HH (TopOfTheHour) stuff should be played regardless of any Adverts...!
What if I want to play earlier?
No problem, just set the appropriate option 'AllowModeratorChanges' and then you can play it early.
Also see the 'Upcomming Overlays...' ribbon item...this also allows you to start any upcomming overlay early and manually.
And what is the maximum delay?
As said in my previous post...it limits the maximum delay time. E.g. 300 sec. means the overlay can be delayed up to 5 minutes.
Find window. It displays the found tracks but not the number of tracks
As already said, take a look to the status bar of the Find Window!
It will display something like "X found in LibName [TotalCount]"
About auto start: I have the script StartType Auto because this is how I want the script to start when the scheduler is running and that script has to start.
You got that setting wrong!
StartType=Auto: Will use either 'Soft' or 'Manual' depending on the current 'AutoPlay' setting. In case of AutoPlay the 'Soft' start type will be used. In case AutoPlay is turned off, the 'Manual' start type will be used.
As such 'Auto' doesn't refer to if the Scheduler is running or not (as you assumed). If the Scheduler is not running, the Program Scheduler is deactivated - that is the whole reason for turning the scheduler on/off.
hdradio

Post by hdradio »

Then you should be more precise and exactly explain hat you want!
I assumed, that the HH (TopOfTheHour) stuff should be played regardless of any Adverts...!
What exactly I want is to have slots every 15 minutes to schedule commercials.
I want to create all the slots and overlays only once so I don't have to do this everytime.
But when I schedule a commercial, one might use a slot or might not use it at all.
In that case if a slot for example at 12:15 doesn't have commercials then just J1 and J2 will play which I don't want.
Also see the 'Upcomming Overlays...' ribbon item...this also allows you to start any upcomming overlay early and manually.
I can't find how to manually play them from that ribbon item.
Also a delay of 5 minutes is too short.

Also in Filter/Find Expression Test Results there is nowhere a indication of number of files found. See screenshot:
FindDialogInScript.jpg
FindDialogInScript.jpg (68.42 KiB) Viewed 8687 times
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

How do I delete all slots and overlays created by Advert Pattern Wizard ?
The easiest way to really delete ALL overlay scheduler entries is by deleting the related "Overlay.calendar" file contained within your 'Advertising Storage' path (see general settings).
Else you would need to delete all entries one by one (mark/select an entry and press the delete key).
How do I create 96 slots of the day ? (24 hours * 4 slots each hour)
I guess you mean AdvertSlots with the Advertising Manager?
You might need to create them manually within the "Slot Management" window...right-click, 'Add Slot...' (or press the Insert key).
You can not use the 'Advert Pattern Wizard' from within the Overlay Scheduler, as this would also create related Overlay Scheduler Entries.
However, think of it, if really 96 AdvertSlots are needed.
They are only needed, if you really want each AdvertSlot to manage individually.
If you just need/want to assign different Campaigns to let say groups like: 'Morning', Midday', 'Afternoon', 'Evening' and 'Night'; only 5 AdvertSlots would be needed.
Else you need to create 96 AdvertSlots manually.
Do I have to create an overlay with the script J1,HH,ID,CC,CC,J2 for each slot ? So 96 overlays for the day?
Same answer as above: If you need/want to manage them individually, then yes (as each Overlay Scheduler Entry).
In that case you also need 96 scripts! One for each Overlay Scheduler Entry using a different AdvertSlot with its 'Advert' script-line.

However, if that is really the case, you might also use the 'Advert Pattern Wizard' from within the Overlay Scheduler and then edit each generated Overlay Scheduler Entry manually (96 times!).
I.e. the Advert Pattern uses the 'Type=Advert' which then needs to be changed to 'Type=Script' and you then need to select the related script!
What if there are not ads for a slot but there is only the overlay ?
Then the 'CC' (the 'Advert' script-line) wouldn't result in any entries and skipped, meaning only the 'other' (remaining) script-line would be evaluated.
What is I want to play a slot earlier or later ?
If you are using the Overlay-Player (not using the 'AsPlaylistInsert' option) you can select the 'AllowDelay' option.
The Overlay-Player is shown the defined seconds in advance to its effective start time...this allows you now to manually delay the play out of the overlay if needed.
The 'Max. Overlay Delay' option defines its maximum.
Also can the Test button exist in Advanced Filter/Find Expression Builder ?
Which dialog are you referring to? The 'Find Expression Builder' exists at the following places:
1) Find Window
2) Script-Editor - Filter column
3) Script-Rules - Previous/Next Track Conditions
The 'Find Expression Builder' can of course only display the number of 'matching' tracks, if tested against a given/known media library.
This is e.g. not the case for 3) - that is why the 'Test' button is missing here!
The 'Test' button in the other cases also only returns up to the first 200 matching entries found - to limit the testing.
E.g. if you are using a very complex expression rule, this means all tracks of a media library would have to be tested...this might take significant time in case you are using a large media lib (e.g. containing thousands of tracks)...as such the full number is only shown within the 'Find Window'...so to fully test some filter expressions, you might use this feature.
I have set this but the application starts, loads some titles to list but it doesn't start playing automatically
By default it definitely will...
a) Maybe you defined your Program Scheduler Entries and have set the StartType to 'Manually' or 'Auto' (in which case they might not start automatically)?!
b) Also you might have set the general settings 'Scheduler Start Option' and used the 'SupressAutoPlayForCurrentProgram'?!
c) Or you have defined some control-commands to disable AutoPlay...?!
However, as said, by default it will definitely start automatically! So please check the 3 options above.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I want to create all the slots and overlays only once so I don't have to do this everytime
Of course you don't have to do that every time!
Each of the 96 overlay entries only needs to be created once! You define each as a daily recurring one!
But when I schedule a commercial, one might use a slot or might not use it at all
Then you can not use the proposed script solution!
But must use the regular advert solution using overlays with Type=Advert!
But then you are currently 'limited' to the given Slot-Opener/Separator/Closer/Finalizer and Campaign-Opener/Separator/Closer stuff.
This limits you to use fixed Jingle tracks per Slot/Campaign rather than dynamic (random) picks from a media library.
I'll put an 'enhancement' onto my 'WishList'...
In that case if a slot for example at 12:15 doesn't have commercials then just J1 and J2 will play which I don't want
According to your initial post the sequence was J1,HH,ID,CC,CC,J2. This would mean J1, HH, ID and J2 would be played - but not only J1 and J2.
But if that is what you want...see above.

I can't find how to manually play them from that ribbon item.
Just click on the play symbol at the end...or right-click!
And note, that you must assign the mentioned option to the overlay to allow manual playout!
E.g. set the options 'AllowCancel', 'AllowDelay' and 'AllowModeratorChanges'
Also a delay of 5 minutes is too short.
This is a configuration option, not a fixed value - 5 minutes is just an example!
You asked yourself what this field is for...specify 600 sec. to set it to 10 minutes, set it to 1800 sec. (=30 minutes)...etc. !
Also in Filter/Find Expression Test Results there is nowhere a indication of number of files found
Correct and I already told you so in my posts above.
That's why you asked where to find that number in the Find Window...which I answered.