GPIO Velleman Server is not responding

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
Havenstad FM
GPIO Velleman Server is not responding

Post by Havenstad FM »

Hi Bernd,

Since a few weeks, probably since update 4.0.3.74??, we experience that the GPIO Velleman Server not always responds to the script commands GPIO_START_VELLEMANSERVER and GPIO_STOP_VELLEMANSERVER.

In our setup i use the GPIO_START_VELLEMANSERVER command in the OnUserLogin event and the GPIO_STOP_VELLEMANSERVER in the OnUserLogoff event. As said since a few weeks the Vellemanserver does not get activated by the command.

I attach a debug log in which you can see some error messages whenever i login and out of PFOA:
24-11-2017 16:23:58: DispatchCommand: GPIO_START_VELLEMANSERVER
24-11-2017 16:23:58: DispatchCommand Reply: ERROR: could not dispatch command
24-11-2017 16:24:13: DispatchCommand: GPIO_STOP_VELLEMANSERVER
24-11-2017 16:24:13: DispatchCommand Reply: ERROR: could not dispatch command

I just cannot see what the problem is. Can You help?

Kind regards,
Jack Reitsema
ITC Havenstad.FM
Attachments
Debug_20171124.rar
(4.52 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
radio42
Site Admin
Re: GPIO Velleman Server is not responding

Post by radio42 »

When you say "...it sometimes does not get activated..." does this means, that it sometimes does get activated?!
So a kind of random error?

The error message you see is typically shown in case the GPIO client application is not available (not started or not connected or the Velleman server is internally not enabaled).
E.g. it could also be a network or firewall issue.

What does the GPIO client show as its connection status?
Are you running the GPIO client on the same PC or on a different one?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I looked in more detail.
The error listed can only happen, if either the GPIO service is not started within ProppFrexx ONAIR - or the GPIO Client is NOT connected.
In your case I assume the latter.
So this indicates, that your GPIO client is not configured correctly (eg. a password issue) or any other network issue which disconnects the GPIO client. There is no other alternative.

I also notice, that there are a lot of XML errors in your log which are resulting from corrupt meta data.
If you are using a Media-Library-Server, it might be that this one is running with an old version and not the same as your updated ProppFrexx ONAIR instance..

All in all I can NOT confirm or detect any bug or incorrect behavior.
I even tested the GPIO client and the control commands you mentioned for over 2 hours constantly sending them every 30 second - not a single command was missed or was not execjted.
Havenstad FM

Post by Havenstad FM »

Hi Bernd,

As far as i can tell the GPIO Client is connected to the service. I made a screenrecording to show you what happens (or rather does NOT happen ;-) and include a short debug log as well:

https://iframe.dacast.com/b/15521/f/488209

Furthermore i can tell you that i did test this also directly after a complete restart of the pc and PFOA with the same results.

Perhaps the recording gives you more insight or maybe i do something wrong...

Regards,
Jack Reitsema
ITC Havenstad.FM
Attachments
Debug_20171201.rar
(866 Bytes) Downloaded 457 times
Havenstad FM

Post by Havenstad FM »

Hi Bernd,

As far as i can tell the GPIO Client is connected to the service. I made a screenrecording to show you what happens (or rather does NOT happen ;-) and include a short debug log as well:

https://iframe.dacast.com/b/15521/f/488209

Furthermore i can tell you that i did test this also directly after a complete restart of the pc and PFOA with the same results.

Perhaps the recording gives you more insight or maybe i do something wrong...

Regards,
Jack Reitsema
ITC Havenstad.FM
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Can you please do 2 things:
1) enabale the 'Debug Logging' in the GPIO Client application (checkbos is on the Main tab)
(and send me that debug log, which is contained in the GPIO Client's AppUserData folder)

2) Change your OnUserLogin/Logoff event and add the GPIO_START_GAMEPORTSERVER resp. GPIO_STOP_GAMEPORTSERVER commands
(just to see, if these are working)
Havenstad FM

Post by Havenstad FM »

Hi Bernd,

in this movie: https://iframe.dacast.com/b/15521/f/493347 you can see how i added the gameserver commands yo the userlogon/-logoff events, how i try to logon/logoff without any change in the GPIO client, how i even stop and restart the GPIO Client and all without any success.

I also enabled the GPIO log, but to my surprise not much was recorded in the log. I attach the log also to this message. It looks like there is no connection at all between PFOA and the GPIO Client even though it clearly states it is connected.

I hope You this gives You a clue.

Regards,
Jack Reitsema
ITC Havenstad.FM
Attachments
Debug_20171208.rar
(200 Bytes) Downloaded 441 times
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

The debug log (of the GPIO Client shows, that no command is received from ProppFrexx ONAIR).
So there must be some kind of communication issue in the network between the client and the server.

Can you please do 3 things:
a) check, that the Port Number (you are using in the GPIO client) is correct. It must match as what is defined in ProppFrexx ONAIR in the general settings, section GPIO/Remoting, see the GPIO Extension Service.
(however, as the default is 9042, I assume this is correct)

b) in your GPIO Client (where you specified the server's address you are currently using 'localhost' as the address.
Can you change this to 127.0.0.1 instead and see, if that also changes things.

c) disable any Virus Tool and/or any Firewall and make the test again... maybe something is blocking your network traffic

If nothing helps, we might arrange a TeamViewer session (but I might need to charge for this, if it turns out not to be a bug, but a local setting or network issue).
Havenstad FM

Post by Havenstad FM »

Hi Bernd,

Sorry i did not reply any sooner, but it took quite some time to find the cause of the problem.

When i updated PFOA to v4.0.3.85 i also did a complete reboot of the machine and suddenly the Velleman worked fine again. So i decided to monitor over the next few days and then after about 7 days the problem started again. The work-around was to manually activate the Velleman Control so i just kept monitoring. The next few days it functioned intermittently indicating some sort of wiring problem.

Yesterday we were fixing some sound issues with one of our mics which meant replacing the mic connection cable and then suddenly the Velleman Control completely failed. (in hindsight we probably caused to much vibrations near the Velleman PCB)

Today we took out our Velleman box with the pcb completely out of the rack and setup a testbench to fix the problem for once and all. And indeed a few cables had tiny fractures at the soldering joints in the jacks, including the common ground on the inputs where just the tiniest movement would cause the cable to fail thus causing the problems.

We completely resoldered the cables to the jacks and double checked everything once again and i am confident that this resolved all problems. Therefore this topic can be closed.

Thank you again for your help and time looking into this.

Also have a Merry X-Mas and a Happy New Year and all the best wishes for the coming year!

Kind regards,

Jack Reitsema
ITC Havenstad.FM
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I am very glad, that the issue is resolved!
A happy crimbo time for you too...