Behringer X-Touch MIDI

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
djbony
Behringer X-Touch MIDI

Post by djbony »

Hi Bernd,
I have problem with mapping rotating controls (in MIDI: ControlChange 0xB0).
X-Touch is reporting 0xB0|0x10 to 0x17|0x41 and more for attenuation (depending on the rotation speed) and 0x1 and more for amplifying (depending on the rotation speed) for GAIN/PAN over each fader. JOG WHEEL have 0xB0|0x3C|0x41 (backward) or 0x1 (forward).

However, the PFOA will return this data only when I press any other button (NoteOn). It does not check ControlChange (0xB0) continuously. Could you something do about it?

Next... Gain data for MCU vpot command are -15 to +15, 0 centered. If I sets it to +15, display shows full scale. The opposite works to -13.6. Then goes out.

Thank you.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Behringer X-Touch MIDI

Post by radio42 »

What do you mean by: PFOA will return this data only when I press any other button?!
PFOA will not return data, but simply receive data.

ProppFrexx receives any MIDI short message once it is send by the host. So if it is not send, I am afraid there is not much Incan do.

I can only guess about the Gain issue, but MIDI doesn’t send float values, but instead the MIDI protocol uses a simple Byte value (actually 7 Bits out of 8). The resolution is as such only from 0 to 127
I.e. 0 is mapped to -15.0dB and 63 to 0dB...
but with a resolution of just 128 values the precision is lost. And 128 values doesn’t allow an exact center value.
So could this resolution issue explain the problem you describe?
djbony

Post by djbony »

I sent you a video to SZ. Thank you. P.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I looked at the video, but I am not sure what I should look at or recognize?
You had the MIDI config open and turned on a rotary knob.... but what should I recognize?

Are MIDI messages missing ?
If yes, use the ‚Monitor...‘ function to see what messages are exactly arriving. Maybe the Behringer doesn’t send them?
Also toggle the ‚Auto Pair...‘ option, some controller use this option and others not.
Else I have no idea, what your exact issue is, as in the video there is nothing I can recognize?! Resp. I don’t know where/what to look at without further explanation ;-)
djbony

Post by djbony »

The point is that when I turn the knob, MIDI commands don't come. But when I press any button after spinning, the last MIDI command comes from the rotary knob. But Behringer sends them. When I launch a MIDI monitor (external free software), it's normally responds to rotation.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

How do you know, that the Behringer sends a MIDI short message?
Maybe the rotary sends a sys message?
Have you tried the ‚Monitor...‘ function?
There you should see all incomings.
djbony

Post by djbony »

Yes, I tried the monitor. PFOA knobs do not respond. I sent you another video to the SZ. Perhaps it would be more understandable :)
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

But in the lastest video I can see incomming MIDI messages when you turn the rotary knob:
"B0 10 01" resp. "B0 10 41"
But unfortunately this isn't the ProppFrexx 'Monitoring' screen you are showing.
djbony

Post by djbony »

It is not. The PFOA monitor does not display anything when I turn the knob...
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

If the Monitor dialog does show any incomming messages, than the MIDI message is definitely not received by PFOA!
As the monitor displays all valid incoming messages.
Did you try to change the Auto-Pair option to see, if that makes a difference?
Also note, that all other MIDI applications should be closed in order to not steal any messages.

If nothing helps, I am afraid, that the Behringer doesn't send valid or compatible standard MIDI short messages.