Problem creating mixer output setting

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
franksiegers
Problem creating mixer output setting

Post by franksiegers »

Hi Bernd,

I would like to add another mixer channel to my existing setup to output to my headphone jack on the PC (I know, not ideal, but it's just a home hobby studio). The idea is that I would add a VST processor (Stereo Tool) to this channel so I can listen to the 'on air sound'.

I've succesfully created the channel and it does output sound (for instance when I route my standby players to it). However, I cannot seem to copy my main program signal to this new output channel.

I have a 'main' input channel that receives my mixer output over USB. I've opened the settings for this input channel and set 'output to' to my new headphones output channel. However, no sound is sent to this the headphone channel. I've also used 'SND' below the input channel to try and copy the signal. Unfortunately, also no sound.

Both channels are using WASAPI. Any idea what could be wrong?

Cheers,

Frank
franksiegers
Re: Problem creating mixer output setting

Post by franksiegers »

Small update: the problem doesn't seem to be the new channel, but I can't sent audio from an input channel to an output channel (even though I can select the channel).

So when I copy other output channels to the new output channel it works. When I copy the input channel (or another input channel) to another output channel, it also doesn't work.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

This should definitely work!
It also sounds like you did the right thing, ie. use the Output To of the input channel and select the related output mixer channel.

Have you maybe Muted the input mixer channel or is the volume fader down? If yes, unmute and put the fader up.
franksiegers

Post by franksiegers »

Nope, not muted. Fader is up.
PFOA mixer settings.PNG
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Oh, but there screenshot shows that it is muted!
See the ‚M‘ button above the fader, which is dark red!
Click on it to unmute.
franksiegers

Post by franksiegers »

Wow, I feel really stupid... :x

It works now... I was under the impression it wasn't muted, since the meters showed volume and I did receive audio input...

There's now difference between 'output to' and 'snd' right?

And could you please explain what 'AutoSND2' (off, vol max, vol min, no pfl') means?

Cheers!
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Yes, they are almost equal. SND2 is just an alternative way.
With the AutoSND2 option you can turn the SND2 function automatically on resp. off.
I assume the first three are self explained, ie. Off never activated any automatic SND2.
Vol Max/Min turn the SND2 on when the Fader is at its maximum or minimum.
And the NoPFL option turns the SND2 off whenever a PFL player is currently playing resp. turns it on again when no PFL player is playing.
This last option is useful when you want to listen to the PFL listen when you effectively do any preview of a track and else you want for example to listen to the main signal, eg. you set this option on the main mixer channel.