Output volume normalization

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
franksiegers
Output volume normalization

Post by franksiegers »

Hi Bernd,

I would like all audio to be send to my Airlite at 0 dB. Is there some way to achieve this?

As a starting point I've disabled ReplayGain and I've used a WAV file with a 1 kHz 0 dB test tone. The mixer and master outputs are set to 0 dB as are the gain knobs and faders of my Airlite. This does indeed output every channel at 0 dB. Great so far!

However, my MP3 audio library is not normalized. I've tried several ReplayGain settings but this mostly leads to all audio being outputted at a pretty low level (-12 to -6 db).

I'm looking for something that mostly increases the volume of old, softly mastered tracks while not lowering my newer (around -3 to 0 dB tracks). Should I use RG + Normalization and then increase my Airlite gain until it sets at 0 dB?

I have no experience with this matter, so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Thanks for any explanation,

Frank
Michel67
Re: Output volume normalization

Post by Michel67 »

MP3Gain is a tool that works well mp3gain sourceforge net
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

ProppFrexx has ReplainGain build in - see general settings, section Audio/General.

However, many people believe, that Loudness Normalization works differently.
Instead of making silent audio louder, it is the opposite! Audio, which is perceived loud is indeed attenuated, ie. it is made more silent!
This because digital audio processing has no headroom, eg. anything above 0dB results in distortion.
But for example audio which is perceived silent but not heavily compressed (ie. old vinyl material) might already have some peaks at 0dB, but a lot of dynamics.
Newly produced tracks are typically perceived loud, because they are mastered to the limit and very compressed. So those tracks needs to be attenuated.

Default ReplaiGain therefore typically reduces the overall audio level by around 6dB.
So after applying that, you might use a DSP/VST on the master output to bring this again back to a 0dB Level, eg. by a simple Multi-Band compressor
franksiegers

Post by franksiegers »

Hi Bernd,

Thanks for the explanation! I could off course use StereoTool on the master output to bring the volume back up, but there's no way to do this earlier in the chain? So I can have a normalized volume coming in to my Airlite?

For a live broadcast I would like it if all tracks on the monitors and headphones would have the same perceived loudness. How are you doing this? Or are you always using voice tracks?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

As said, just activate ReplayGain in the general settings. That’s it.