Cover Art (atumatic assignement?)

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Farbo
Cover Art (atumatic assignement?)

Post by Farbo »

Bernd, don´t know how but PF assigns somehow automatically covert arts to different tracks. If I have for example track in particular folder and other tracks in that folder do not have any tracks I think PF takes the album art picture as default. If not, could you please let me know how PF handles picture arts for albums?

Unfortunately now I have lot of album arts incorrectly set and have to go manually through hundreds of tracks.
Peter
Farbo
Re: Cover Art (atumatic assignement?)

Post by Farbo »

Uf, great I can just remove the file. :-) Thank you. I will better never copy into track´s folders any picture with name "album" or "folder". :-)
Peter
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

I see. Most of my tracks do not have album art. I am adding them manually and very slowly. :-)
Peter
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

ProppFrexx uses the following logic to find a track's cover art image:

1) check if a picture TAG exists directly within the audio file's TAG data
2) check if a picture file exists (with the same filename as the audio file, but with a .jpg, .gif, .png, .bmp extension instead)
3) check if a folder picture exists ('Folder*.jpg, .gif, .png, .bmp' or 'Album*.jpg, .gif, .png, .bmp' in the same directory as the audio file)
4) check if an album picture file exists (same filename as the 'Album' content, but a .jpg, .gif, .png, .bmp extension)

So if you or example have a 'Folder.jpg' or 'AlbumArt.jpg' file located in your directory, ALL audio tracks not having a specific picture TAG set, will use this image!
I assume this is what you experianced.

So there is no need 'to go manually through hundreds of tracks'. Just take a look, if there are any picture files ('matching' the above logic) contained within your track folders.
And if needed, remove them.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Yes, as other media players are already doing so - which is why ProppFrexx uses the above logic.
E.g. the Windows Media Player (WMP) never saves any picture TAGs to the audio file, but instead save certain 'Album*.jpg' files to the folder containing the audio tracks, e.g. when tracks are ripped from WMP.
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

I checked all folders witrh music tracks but there is not 'Folder.jpg' or 'AlbumArt.jpg' file located in that directories.
Peter
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Note, that PF considers any image file starting with 'Folder...' or starting with 'AlbumArt...'.
Also make sure to also check any 'hidden' files - your Windows explorer view might by default not display hidden files.
If no such/other image file is present in your folder, they must be included within the audio files picture TAGs.
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

Hm, the only case could be the last you mentioned, i.e. such a file is included in file´s picture TAG. But how can I find out which track does have it? :-(

I tag my tracks in Tag Scanner and for example if album has album tag picture in format folder.jpg or albumart.jpg I just add this picture to all tracks and save tracks´ TAGs. Afterwords I only copy music tracks to perspective folders but I delete picture file as I do not need it anymore when it is already in file´s TAG.

BTW, I found 1 track with that picture file. It had name cover.jpg. So I saved the picture file with a different name, deleted it from TAG of that track and then loaded back with changed name. But other tracks which do not have its TAG picture still have the incorrect one. Of course this incorrect TAG picture is only visible in PF as the files itself do not have any TAG picture assigned. COuld you please change it?

If a track does not have a TAG picture nothing should be shown just to show "something". So no picture = no picture
Peter
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

No unfortunately I can and will not change the above described cover art lookup procedure/logic as it is a defacto standard many systems have agreed on including windows media foundation. And I consinder it as absolutly correct.

However I still don't your understand your scenario. If a file does not contain any picture TAGs and there are no picture files in its folders - what is exactly be displayed incorrectly within PF?

If your TAG software handles things differently I am sorry for that, but I can not align PF with it.
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

The only problem is PF reads somehow picture TAGs which are contained in completely different file. As I told you, I do not have any picture file in my folders with tracks so I do not understand why PF took TAG pictures from completely different tracks, like:

Queen - Who wants to live forever has its TAG picture
the same TAG picture is assigned to Culture Club tracks which is completely wrong and I do not understand why this Queen TAG picture is taken there when physically this Culture Club track does not have any TAG picture assigned.

Shall I perhaps send you those two files?
Peter