location audio files (NAS)

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Bob Van Dongen
location audio files (NAS)

Post by Bob Van Dongen »

Hi everyone, I have the following question. I have been loading my music into proppfrexx from my local NAS with pleasure and a well-functioning system for several years now. Now I only want to select in proppfrexx that the song that was played the longest ago is at the top. Because the music comes from my NAS, it takes a long time to load, is there a solution for this? or is it just best to put the music on the local pc that also has proppfrexx installed on it. thank you so much for your help
radio42
Site Admin
Re: location audio files (NAS)

Post by radio42 »

What do you mean by „Now I only want to select in proppfrexx that the song that was played the longest ago is at the top“ - I.e. how do you do and test this?
As any recommendation would depend on it.

E.g. I would recommend the ‚LeastRecentlyPlayed‘ selection mode in a script in order to achieve what you are looking for.
When using a media lib (esp. a folder based) on a slow NAS, it simply might initially take some time to read all meta data (Tags). But as this is only done initially once (unless you rescan the entire lib), this should not slow down anything during the daily operation.

But in general using a fast IO system is always recommended.
Bob Van Dongen

Post by Bob Van Dongen »

In The directory explorer I add folders location via the green plus sign and I select that content in the directory explorer then on last played at. Whenever I open proppfrexx on new, it takes quite a while to put those folders in the right order. nas and network are fine in my view. Do you have an example script? what you're talking about. thank you so much again for your response (if it is the case that I better put a hard disk in my pc I will do that. But I think that my mirror function of my nas is bad so I always have a resente backup in case of failure disk
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

The directory Explorer (especially when sorted by modification date), of course would have to read-in all modification dates of the file itself). Ie. ProppFrexx needs to get the dates of all files in order to sort them.
When the directory contains really a lot of files, this might simply take a while. ProppFrexx uses standard functions of the operating system. So it can not be made faster than your NAS actually is.

It sounds you operate ProppFrexx manually in your case. Scripting is however to automate your station. It is all explained in the tutorial videos here: viewtopic.php?t=1018
Bob Van Dongen

Post by Bob Van Dongen »

thanks for your comment
I indeed use proppfrexx manually and have moved the files to the local pc now the sorting works fine.
thanks for the link to the videos I'm going to have a look at that too, always put something in it have a nice day