Remote studio / multi studio

You are missing a feature or need an enhancement? Post your suggestion here!
workino
Remote studio / multi studio

Post by workino »

a better remote / multistudio management integration :D
workino
Re: Remote studio / multi studio

Post by workino »

radio42 wrote:What should that be. Please specify this in much more detail otherwise I don't know what you mean!
Sure,
i just tried in demo (i don't have full licence atm) "multi studio" and i can see only some very few option.

I'll like to see and command remote computer with local installation how a midi controller so i can have full control and remote dj can see a real situation and i case of emergency take and solve situation.
If it will be possible after a program go to the end the dj can restart automatic program on remote(main) and shutdown local computer and leave only "server" powered on 24H - 24.

Another good integration (but i don't know if it possible) will be an "AOIP" audio over ip so always "server" have streaming channel and not all chairs.

I don't know if it just possible... so i say u sorry if i make a bad question.

Best regards
Gabriele
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

What should that be. Please specify this in much more detail otherwise I don't know what you mean!
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Full remote control like you described it can be achieved by external full remote control applications, like Remote Desktop.

AOIP solutions are also existing eg. Virtual Cable.

So all can already be achieved today. But I trnd to not develop ghose things again by myself, if there are godd existing solutions.

For the rest I guess all is currently present.
workino

Post by workino »

radio42 wrote:Full remote control like you described it can be achieved by external full remote control applications, like Remote Desktop.

AOIP solutions are also existing eg. Virtual Cable.

So all can already be achieved today. But I trnd to not develop ghose things again by myself, if there are godd existing solutions.

For the rest I guess all is currently present.
Hi Bern,
i tried your solution with virtual cable but VAC can't transport audio from local to remote.
How i can achieved this? have any solution to tell me?
I need a dedicated ardware to do this or u know any software can do this?

Best Regards
Gabriele
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

There is no real solution to it.
Any audio transport over the internet (not localy within the intranet) either has a quit high latency or a high compression (bad audio quality).
So what are your exaxt requirements?
Luka C

Post by Luka C »

I haven't played around with multi-studio myself. Apologies if speaking about a different concept.
workino wrote:i tried your solution with virtual cable but VAC can't transport audio from local to remote.
How i can achieved this? have any solution to tell me?
On a station with remotely live produced programming (syndication) I would take advantage of the MDOStream Watcher.

Occasionally, two studios in a network or when an outside broadcast is being done need to collaborate. To "join" a guest in a dislocated studio with the host in the main studio and provide both studios "return feeds" (so they can hear each other) a low latency Audio over IP gate must be used. The evolving open source Opus codec is low latency with small bandwidth usage and almost supersedes high-cost mobile codecs such as G.722 in quality. The Fideliphone freeware can be used to connect two studios providing return feeds with latencies as low as 15 miliseconds on a good network.

Given that ProppFrexx supports Opus/CELT already and it has the MODStream Watcher which enables 1-way connection of studios, a possible future upgrade would be to allow studios to cross-communicate (similar to Fideliphone).
workino

Post by workino »

Hi Bernd,
a good function will be the sincronization of playlist trought ppoa and also a way to transfer all control from one studio to another.
I just tell this because i got my computer stucked and all live program was stopped. it's better to find a best way to make possible the program continues from the stuck point on another studio or virtual istance.
It will be usefull also if you need to make some studio maintenance

Another question was, Is there some way to use a second source how failover repository for music?

Best Regards
Gabriele
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

a) What do you mean by "synchronization of playlist"?
A playlist is basically a list of entries referencing physical files.
As such a synchronization can already be achieved without further effort, e.g. by using a central audio server.
Otherwise do you mean synchronization of physical audio files and the resp. transfer from one PC to the other PC?
If yes, when/how should this happen from within ProppFrexx.
If it is just a matter about synchronizing files and folder - there are existing solutions out there, like GoodSync.
So please describe your requirements with a bit more details - otherwise I am not sure what you are looking for.

b) "Transfer all control from one studio to another"?
I am also nit sure what you are exactly looking for.
Please also see/read my comments above!

c) ProppFrexx already contains a Master/Slave mode incl. heartbeat monitoring!
You need to have 2 machines with ProppFrexx ONAIR installed.
One will act as the 'MASTER' and one as a 'SLAVE'.
The 'SLAVE' will monitor the heartbeat of the 'MASTER'.
On both machines you need to configure the Remote-TCP option (see the general settings in the section 'GPIO/Remoting').
Make sure the 'TCP Control Enabled' option is checked!
And configure your 'RemoteControl Server Port' and 'Authorization Password' as needed.
Once a port and password is configured the two machines might communicate to each other.

You can find this feature in the 'RCM' popup (Remote Control Monitor) - which is located in the 'Main' mixer channel strip.
In this popup the 'TCP Server' should indicate 'Online' (according to the above settings).

Now click on the "Manage Remote Clients" button.
This will open a new dialog called "Remote Client Manager".
Here you can actually 'Add Client' you want to see...but that is another feature...
In this dialog you'll also now find a "Remote Monitoring Master/Slave..." button - this one is used to configure the 'heartbeat monitoring'.

You should only setup this 'Remote Monitoring Master/Slave' on your SLAVE machine!
Enter 'Master IP or DNS', 'Master Remoting Port' and 'Remoting Password' of your other (Master) machine (according to the above mentioned Remote TCP-Server settings).
Now enable the 'Monitor Master Heartbeat' checkbox and finally click on the 'Stopped' button in the 'Monitoring Status' group.
Make sure that your Master machine is running at that time.
Now you can click on OK.
You have now enabled the heartbeat monitoring on your SLAVE machine!

It will now automatically be turned on every time you start ProppFrexx on this machine again!
To deactivate it just uncheck the 'Monitor Master Heartbeat' checkbox again.

The SLAVE machine will now run in 'Slave-Mode'!
Whenever the heartbeat detection fails (e.g. because the monitored MASTER goes down)...this SLAVE machine will switch into Master-Mode.
Once the MASTER comes back....it will switch back to Slave-Mode.

So what is Slave- or Master-Mode?
Actually nothing - except, that two system events are triggered to which you might assign any control-commands.
See the general settings section 'Events/Commands' in the Application node you'll find two respective entries:
- OnSetMaster
- OnSetSlave
Here you can assign any control-command(s) to be executed with these events.

This means you decide what to do with the heartbeat detection.
E.g. when the SLAVE machine goes into Master-Mode - the OnSetMaster event is triggered.
And when the MASTER comes back, the SLAVE is set back to Slave-Mode - the OnSetSlave event is triggered.

This allows you to e.g. start an emergency playlist, or mute/unmute a mixer channel or start or stop the Scheduler etc. etc.

So heartbeat monitoring is about checking the availability of a remote machine and switching the Slave/Master-Mode accordingly - on which you then can react via any control-command(s).
Therefore the machine doing the monitoring is by default set into Slave-Mode and constantly 'pings' the machine to be monitored (which by default should run in Master-Mode).
workino

Post by workino »

I try to explain better.

Most of the time ppoa use a script to create a dynamic playlist. When master will goes down the slave machine don't know where Master remaing and so will start a new playlist (like a sync state). No syncronization from all computer was made by central nas server. I also asked for failover music source because my nas goes down for some strange problem and ppoa stop to play music at all and if it can take music from another source if the first one was falied will bo much appreciated.

With transfer all control from one studio to another i meaning if studio A have an hardware faliure i will have the possibility to continue the program from studio B without any interruction of music. (and here there is the same problem of syncro) I don't know if this function will be just done with a remote client session and virtual cable (like jack or VAC)

Yes i know the function master slave how can solve partially the problem. One function will be :

Press "a button" -> master send to central slave the command to take the control -> master and slave sync playlist each other -> the slave machine will be master at the end of song with no music interruption.

Or/and the possibility from Studio B to tell to all other ppoa online asap studio b will be the master

i don't know at all if this is the right way because i don't have any experience of software like ppoa on multiple studio.

Let me know if it is more clear