All overlays -> Gone

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
andrerotgans
Re: All overlays -> Gone

Post by andrerotgans »

Just out of interest, of there are in this case as you said only 24 overlays, how does pfoa make a difference between the 24 of today and those of i.e. Friday. As it is able to already use those, i.e. when using the dynamic assignment ?
radio42
Site Admin
Re: All overlays -> Gone

Post by radio42 »

That's a good question! Let me first explain the difference between a 'Pattern' and an 'Occurrence'...
When defining a recurring scheduler entry you are using a recurrence pattern (e.g. daily every 1 day; or hourly every 1 hour). Meaning from a given start date and time all sub-sequent occurrences can be calculated. The calendar reflects this, as it also shows all occurrences.
Example:
You define a single (just one) recurring scheduler entry starting at '16.04.2014 01:00:00' with an hourly recurrence pattern every 1 hour and no end date.
The effective occurrences which result from such recurring entry would be:
'16.04.2014 01:00:00', '16.04.2014 02:00:00', '16.04.2014 03:00:00', ..., '17.04.2014 01:00:00', '17.04.2014 02:00:00', ... etc.
Note, that the calendar internally calculates all these occurrences as needed (of course it doesn't create ALL the occurrences in advance, it just has the ability to calculate and display the occurrences).

With the Advert Manager you can now either assign a 'Campaign' directly to an Advert-Slot or use the Dynamic Overlay Assignment.
When assigning a 'Campaign' directly to a 'Slot', that campaign would be used for ANY 'Overlay' using that 'Slot', no matter when and how often. Meaning really EVERY overlay occurrence will use it.

The Dynamic Overlay Assignment on the contrary assigns a 'Campaign' to a specific overlay occurrence. Meaning is uses the overlay name AND an explicit date/time to identify it.
As a result the 'Campaign' would only be used for those overlay occurrences matching the specified date/time. And this is exactly what the Dynamic Overlay Assignment dialog is doing, it lets you select an overlay and the specific date/time and as such it lets you select the effective occurrences.