64-bit, EoL for Windows XP

This forum will contain general news and announcements made by radio42.
radio42
Site Admin
64-bit, EoL for Windows XP

Post by radio42 »

Dear ProppFrexx Users,

as you might know, the current version (v3.0.15.x) of ProppFrexx ONAIR is still a 32-bit application.
As times goes by, we are also preparing for the future...
Meaning from the next versions on (v3.0.16.x and above) ProppFrexx ONAIR will be a pure 64-bit application and will be based on the latest .Net Framework 4.5.2 resp. 4.6 - this to leverage all advantages of todays technology and the next Windows operating systems (like Windows 10).

Don't Panic!
This is just some information to take care about for the future. The current version is still 32-bit. As such the information given is for a future release of ProppFrexx and as such just a 'heads-up'. The time frame is not yet finalized, but I assume that a 64-bit v3.0.16.x will be available within the next 3 to 4 months (a beta maybe earlier).

A 64-bit application can ONLY run on a 64-bit Operating System!
Most of you might already run a 64-bit OS. But if you are still using an older 32-bit OS (like WinXP) it is slowly time to change. v3.0.15.x. still supports WinXP 32-bit, but the next versions will not, so get ready to migrate to a 64-bit OS! The supported OS version are then:
- Windows 7 (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2008 (64-bit)
- Windows 8/8.1 (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2012 (64-bit)
- Windows 10 (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2015 (64-bit)

A 64-bit application can ONLY load 64-bit libraries, but no 32-bit libs!
So far ProppFrexx leverages several external libraries, like for example 32-bit VST DSP plugins or 32-bit Winamp DSP plugins.
As Winamp DSPs are always 32-bit, they will not be supported anymore in the future (Winamp is dead anyhow).
For most 32-bit VST DSP plug-ins there is a 64-bit version available (like for StereoTool for example), so make sure to get a 64-bit VST 2.4 compatible DSP plugin version for the future.
Other 32-bit external libs (like the current 32-bit remoting libs for Velleman or IO-Warrior etc.) might need to be hosted in an extra process (so no need to worry about Velleman or IO-Warrior support).

Summary for 64-bit:
  • no support for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 !
  • no support for 32-bit Operating-Systems (only 64-bit OS support) !
  • no support for Winamp DSP anymore !
  • no support for VST 32-bit DSPs anymore (only 64-bit VST 2.4 support)!
  • a 64-bit process can still start a 32-bit process (so no worries about your 32-bit encoders)
The following features will be hosted in an extra 32-bit GPIO process:
  • Velleman I/O support
  • IO-Warrior support
  • GamePort controller support
  • other interfaces might be added by partners or 3rd party developers
The advantages of a 64-bit applications and the new .Net Framework are obvious:
  • can leverage almost unlimited memory if available (no more out-of-memory)
  • faster processing and audio operations
  • more robust .Net features
  • future prove architecture
radio42
Site Admin
Re: 64-bit, EoL for Windows XP

Post by radio42 »

Yes, the JB Broadcast VST is a 32-bit version!
For improvements and completely re-designed versions of these plugins, including native support for x64 platforms please move over to ToneBoosters. http://www.toneboosters.com
I haven't checked myself, but you can also switch to StereoTool - when its time!

There will also soon be a bundled version of StereoTool for ProppFrexx!, so please wait a bit before switching, maybe I can arrange some special prices...
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

Hi Bernd.

Is jb_broadcast also 32-bit? Shall I switch then to StereoTool or would you advice some other dsp?

Thank you.
Peter
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

OK, thank you. I will wait. :-)
Peter
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Wow, I'm no computer genius but I think most people still run Vista/Win7 32Bit. I think most still use plugins based on 32Bit as well. You could be shooting yourself in the foot here Bernd.
Females use radio software too!
Michiel Bouwmeester

Post by Michiel Bouwmeester »

Nah... most people are running the 64 bit version allready. Any 5- 6 year old machine can run the 64 bit version and if the have have 4gb of ram or more they should.. the 32bit version only supports 3.2Gb. Good choice from Bernd to move on.

My 2 cents :)
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Yes, most running OS versions are already 64bit. I assume, that 95% of the ProppFrexx users already do run a 64bit OS. the rest might still run the 3.0.15.x version for quite some time!
The fact is, that Microsoft announced many months back EoL (End of Life) for Windows XP and Server 2003.
EoL for Vista and Windows 7 is coming soon this year! Meaning, those OS versions will soon be no longer supported.
Leaving us with Windows 8/8.1 and the new Windows 10 - all of them are available in a 64-bit version.
Of course, there are still some 32-bit OS versions (even of Win7, 8 or 8.1) out there, but not many effectively.