TimeUpdateSync Fill by Category

You are missing a feature or need an enhancement? Post your suggestion here!
rethus
TimeUpdateSync Fill by Category

Post by rethus »

So, I've been messing around with TimeUpdateSync elements in PF for a while now. The thing I think it's missing is a "fill by category" or some sort of that feature, basically when the playlist is underfilled with songs the TimeUpdateSync will insert tracks from a category and fill it to meet the desired time.

so, an example of underfilled playlist:

Code: Select all

1:54:00 - 1:56:00 = Music
1:56:00 - 1:58:00 = Music
(GAP 2 minutes)
2:00:00 = TimeUpdateSync (Soft, maxearly = 30sec, fillcategory = station spots)
the expected behaviour is the TimeUpdateSync element will insert x tracks from station spots until it can segue (30sec maxearly)

1:54:00 - 1:56:00 = Music
1:56:00 - 1:58:00 = Music
+ 1:58:00 - 1:58:30 = Station Spot
.... (more station spots)
+ 1:59:07 - 1:59:40 = Station Spot (then segue at 1:59:40)
2:00:00 = TimeUpdateSync (Soft, maxearly = 30sec, fillcategory = station spots)
For soft TimeUpdateSyncs, for overfilled playlist there can be an option for "no hard fade out" or some sort, it means if a track needs to be faded out, it won't play that and fill it with fillcategory instead.

1:55:00 - 1:57:00 = Music
1:58:00 - 1:59:00 = Music
1:59:00 - 2:01:00 = Music (This track will be faded out at 2:00:30)
2:00:00 = TimeUpdateSync (Soft, maxearly = 30sec, maxlate = 30sec, fillcategory = station spots)
With no hard fade out

+ 1:59:00 - 1:59:30 = Station Spot
+ 1:59:30 - 2:00:02 = Station Spot (then segue at 2:00:02)
2:00:00 = TimeUpdateSync (Soft, maxearly = 30sec, maxlate = 30sec, fillcategory = station spots)
For hard TimeUpdateSyncs, if bridge track is defined then insert fillcategory until the bridge track can play the 'shortest time' then play the bridge track.

+ 1:59:00 - 1:59:30 = Station Spot
+ 1:59:30 - 2:00:00 = Bridge track (hard fade at 2:00:02)
2:00:00 = TimeUpdateSync (Hard, fillcategory = station spots)
if the bridge track is not defined then insert fillcategory then hardfade at anypoint.
but if the playlist is overfilled then do regular hard fade.

I'm sure this will add more flexibility to PF and some other users would want it ;)
rethus
Re: TimeUpdateSync Fill by Category

Post by rethus »

Because the way I setup is. Music1 schedules music then throw the scheduled playlists into a watch folder which another advert injector (sort of), will put station campaign and sponsor spots into that music schedule and then spit the m3u playlist out. a really kind friend of mine wrote me a script which then will convert m3u into pfp (it can also insert TimeUpdateSync into each hour)

in this setup, the initial music schedule needs to be underfilled because the other stuff will then be added later. (also some will be overfilled because the number of tracks, length and other things)
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

So why don't you simply always overschedule the music via Music1 a bit?
This would eliminate the need for any fillers?!
I am still not getting this...
rethus

Post by rethus »

It's true that some hour can be easily done by overfilling the schedule BUT in some hour like 5pm drive, the adverts will get inserted at the end of the schedule, causing me to not able to overschedule. That's why I want this feature to add "some" tracks to fill the gaps between the top of the hour.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

What Edition are you currently using? And is it a commercial or non-commercial version?

As far as I understand are you using some other software to add the adverts or spots to the end of an already scheduled playlist.
So why couldn't this software also add a few filler tracks to ensure a sufficient hour length?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I understand what you mean. BUT...
How do you get 'underfilled' playlists?
Is it from an external system? If yes, shouldn't the external system handle this?!

I assume, that you would never get them when using the ProppFrexx internal scheduler/scripting?
Or do you manually create hourly playlists? If yes, why don't you simply plan those filler tracks yourself?
rethus

Post by rethus »

I'm using demo version, which is technically enterprise with beeps I believe.

Yes, I tried to set it up to fill the schedule BUT the playlist don't have cue times (next, start in PF) so no matter how perfect it seems in the pfp, the results will be either overfilled or underfilled. And the time will be offset for a bit since the program start is soft.

And I think that doing fills at playout is much better because it is live-calculated at the time the TimeUpdateSync is hit. This is not only suitable for my setup but to the people using integrated scheduler in PF to have fill options and not to cut off the middle of the song. :)
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I understand your points. But your setup is still quite uncommon.

E.g. Music1 could schedule the adverts as well as the TimeUpdateSyncs.
Alternative ProppFrexx might inject the commercials and spots via its Overlay Scheduler.

ProppFrexx as well as Music1 both support 'EndsAt' cue schedules and also many other features.

So why don't you use Music1 for all scheduling?
Or let ProppFrexx do the advert scheduling?
I don't get for what you needs your additional software and manual m3u playlist conversion.

Don't get me wrong, I might put this onto the wish-list, but I so far have never heard about such setup. And I try to avoid implementing things which can be solved in another way more easily.
rethus

Post by rethus »

The M1 version I have is for webcasting so It doesn't support ads scheduling. And since I'm a starting online radio station I might not have enough to buy PF Pro (which has overlay feature) and from my perspective, regular playlist items are easier to work with than overlay (for manual program). eg, adding voice track in the middle of spot breaks, players has multiple mixer outputs/faders, etc.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

You can also instruct the Overlay Scheduler to insert its entries to the playlist as regular items.

However, I see where you are coming from.
As you don't have enough money to purchase the needed versions, you are asking me to implement a new feature (probably for free ;-)

But anyhow, I'll take a look if it's possible.