Scroll buttons disappeared

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
hdradio
Scroll buttons disappeared

Post by hdradio »

As you can see at the attached image, the buttons that scroll between DJ players are not visible.
I don't know how this happened. The only way to appear them was to close that playlist and run the scheduler again.
Screenshot 2014-04-13 12.26.08.png
Screenshot 2014-04-13 12.26.08.png (215.55 KiB) Viewed 7614 times
As you also see at the screenshot, when I run the scheduler, it couldn't find the next program, although it was there. I had no modification to script files since Friday. Then I went to settings and reloaded the scripts and finally found it.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Scroll buttons disappeared

Post by radio42 »

a) Playlist scroll buttons: this indeed looks a bit strange.
The playlist scroll buttons are shown/hidden only when the playlist window in initially shown or when it's size is changed.
If the window size is changed, the (new) total width is used to either hide or show them.
That calculation is very simply: Visible = TotalWidth > NumPlayers * PlayerWidth

There is effectively nothing I can see which can go wrong, except, that the Windows system wouldn't inform the application about a size change- which so far I have never seen.
Or the Windows system (graphics card) would report a wrong size (new width). But I have never seen this either, even though you might know, that all is possible.
Unfortunately, there is nothing I can think of doing against it.

When the buttons disappear (or disappear again), did you try to resize the window manually? If not, try to do so.
If they then re-appear, this would be a clear sign, that your Windows system (graphics card) would have reported an incorrect width beforehand!

b) Script: NOT FOUND!
This is ONLY displayed, if the script (which was assigned to that program) could not found internally.
Meaning the script was not initially loaded (e.g. the access to the file was not available at initial start of ProppFrexx)!
- Are you sure, that the related script was initially there
- Have you defined an automatic reload (every X hours)?

When the script NOT FOUND! message was displayed, did you check which scripts have been available?
- Do you know, if ALL or only this script was not loaded?

Both errors sound very strange and seriously looking at all my code they both even seem impossible (except for the unlikely events I described above)?
Did my be an unattended reboot happened to the machine since 'Friday' - e.g. due to a Windows Update and then at the time of the reboot some files have been unavailable?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Any news?
hdradio

Post by hdradio »

Bernd
I can't reproduce the issue, so I have no news to submit.
PF is running on my onair pc in parallel with my current radio automation, so that pc had disabled system updates and of course had no reboot since months.
- Are you sure, that the related script was initially there
- Have you defined an automatic reload (every X hours)?
The scripts were there for sure, because I had edited them last week. About automatic reload every X hours, do you mean in Library Automation Options ? If so, yes I have set it every 24 hours at 01:15am. I don't see such option in Script/Scheduler settings.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Yes, I meant the 'Library Automation Options' (there is an 'also reload Script Libraries' checkbox).
steve c

Post by steve c »

hdradio wrote:As you can see at the attached image, the buttons that scroll between DJ players are not visible.
I don't know how this happened. The only way to appear them was to close that playlist and run the scheduler again.
Screenshot 2014-04-13 12.26.08.png
As you also see at the screenshot, when I run the scheduler, it couldn't find the next program, although it was there. I had no modification to script files since Friday. Then I went to settings and reloaded the scripts and finally found it.
Had the same problem tonight along with all the "view" options not working. None of them would appear. Trackboard Carts Mixer etc. Reset the config and layout and it eventually after many attempts they came back but then it still has the scroll bar missing and it now refuses to load the script even though its showing as scheduled in the ribbon. Managed to get it to load the script by removing one entry but can no longer edit the script if its playing a song. I could before. Lost all the cart entries.It has done this on its own tonight for no reason. No one was using the computer. No error messages in the log file. Not a good night.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

When you say "can no longer edit the script if its playing a song" this is probably due to the default setting "Allow Edit running Scripts" being disabled after you reset your config.

All other things rather sound very strange, as ProppFrexx doesn't delete things in the background, or automatically modifies scripts, or changes cartwall etc. !
All this actually sounds to me like either:
- a hard disk defect
- a virus
- any other system fault

Anyhow, it is in every case a better idea to do the following steps:
a) close and restart ProppFrexx
b) if the problem persists, reboot your machine
c) if the problem persists, restore a backup of your settings
d) if the problem persists, reset the layout
e) reboot your machine
Then also:
- check for any hardware issues, RAM, CPU, HDD etc.
- check this thread and perform all related tests: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=915

Not that ProppFrexx is totally bug-free (no software is), but if there is absolutely no error indication in the Error.log nor anything within the Windows Event log, in almost all cases I have seen the errors was either related to an out-of-memory issue OR a system fault (mostly some bad drivers or a defect on the hard disk).
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Some additional checks for 'broken' Script Library entries have been added to the new v3.0.13.14!
The script management dialog now also shows 'broken' script entries. Broken entries are entries, which are not existing anymore, e.g. because the related file or folder to the script is inaccessible.
In addition ProppFrexx now also shows a popup window at startup, if any 'broken' media-, cartwall- or script-library was detected.
This to hopefully detect, why the scripts have disappeared suddenly?!
I still guess, that the file-system was somehow not available at the time an automatic reload took place?!

In addition a click on the small down arrow button (next to the disappeared scroll buttons would force them to be re-enabled).
However, I still believe, that the initial issue is somewhere within the system/graphics settings, maybe due to an energy saving setting, which disables some graphics functions.
Especially the new Laptop graphics cards are somewhat behaving odd, as they might switch between an internal and external mode and I have already see setups, where this lead to not refreshing certain graphics regions/windows anymore, because the card incorrectly assumed, that nothing was changed on a particular window and as such looked 'freezed'.
See here for details: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=915