Scan/Reload Script libraries adds scripts instead of reloadi

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
hdradio
Scan/Reload Script libraries adds scripts instead of reloadi

Post by hdradio »

Do the following:
On OnAir pc
Go to Script libraries -> Additional script libraries and add a script (suppose a "test.pfs")
Then go to a second pc.
Click scan/reload and click Additional script libraries.
The added script ("test.pfs") is on the list. ;)
Now go again to OnAir pc. and remove the "test.pfs" from the library.
On the second pc Click again "scan/reload" button.
On Additional libraries the "test.pfs" is still there. :(

I think that the "scan/reload" adds new found scripts to library and does not remove them on reload.
If I restart second pc's PFOA instance "test.pfs" is not on the list as it should.

I know that I don't have to care about the following but I am a little curious :shock: :
When I add the "test.pfs" I see in file "ProppFrexx OnAir.scriptlibs" that the added file has no drive letter and I wonder if that can cause a problem in loading the script when this has to play:

Code: Select all

<add key="S:\proppfrexx\Scripts\Additional\su2200.pfs" value="Music" />
      <add key="\proppfrexx\Scripts\Additional\test.pfs" value="Music" />
    </ScriptLibraries>
hdradio
Re: Scan/Reload Script libraries adds scripts instead of rel

Post by hdradio »

Yes I am using a shared config folder :

Code: Select all

S:\proppfrexx\Config\Global
This folder contains the file "ProppFrexx ONAIR.scriptlibs"
Both PCs use the same global config folder.
My scripts are under "S:\proppfrexx\Scripts\Additional\" folder.
Even if a add a script from PC1 or PC2 the "S:" is missing from "ProppFrexx ONAIR.scriptlibs" file.
I'll take a look, if that is also the reason, why the lib (when added from PC1) wasn't removed from that file (in case you deleted it from PC2).
I don't think that is the reason because the entry of "test.pfs" does not exist in "ProppFrexx ONAIR.scriptlibs" file when PC2 reloads the script libraries, but still PC2 sees that file.
hdradio

Post by hdradio »

No. My Auto scripts path points to : "S:\proppfrexx\Scripts\"
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Okay, then all works as designed!; as non-additional scripts (and as I understand you, we are only talking about additional scripts here) are never automatically removed with a reload of scripts libs from a PF instance.
Since you are using a common ('shared') config path between the PCs, they are added automatically; but an additional script lib once loaded is never removed automatically.
It might be replaced though (if it's config changes), but never removed.
It will only be 'removed' (resp. not loaded again) if the PF instance is restarted.

The reason is pretty simple: It might still be in use somewhere (in a advert, program, overlay, embedded dynamic playlist content etc.).
So if you want to remove it immediately; you need to remove it from each instance manually.
hdradio

Post by hdradio »

So if you want to remove it immediately; you need to remove it from each instance manually.
It confuses me a little but if you have designed that way I can not say more.
You could warn the user that the script is in use somewhere (like in program scheduler) when he tries to delete it.
By the way, this check must be done because you might delete a script that the program scheduler needs. Maybe you already do that check and I don't know it.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Yes, I know, it might be confusing; as adding scripts might be automatic (when using the same config from multiple PCs), but deletion is manual on each PC.
That's because I see deleting scripts more critical than adding new once.

Yes, I could check a few placed where scripts might still be used; but not all; e.g. as said embedded dynamic containers contained within playlists or dynamic overlay containers...or anything which is resolved by macros...
So that wouldn't be a good check, if you would rely on a warning which is not really a secure warning; i.e. giving you no warning might lead you to the assumption all is fine - but it isn't!
That's why deletion does not contain a real check and is really up to you!
hdradio

Post by hdradio »

That's why deletion does not contain a real check and is really up to you!
That is what I don't understand. If it's up to me, I AM responsible that my program won't play if I delete a script.
Keeping in memory a deleted script is confusing. Anyway, this script won't be available on next PF restart !
hdradio

Post by hdradio »

And all this is a very special situation where you 'share' the same script config (file) between multiple ProppFrexx instances running on different PCs.
Bernd, it's not a special situation.
Real stations, don't use their OnAir pc for doing everything. All the work is done on a networked pc.
But that is only my opinion.
hdradio

Post by hdradio »

I know it's a not a bug. You 've already explained that to me.
I continue this conversation because I have a different opinion and of course I respect your's.
I like the work you 've done and I love to see PF growing. That's why I 've bought it too.
I might say stupid things but I might tell you something you 've missed. Discussion always gives better results.

Now.
This special situation is the only way to have 2 pf instances to share the same data. Or am I missing something here ?
hdradio

Post by hdradio »

Thank you Bernd.
<3

I am thinking that a basic delete check should be made only on critical parts of the program.
For example scripts that exist in program scheduler. A non existing (program) script might cause the program to stop playing if not found.
In all the other situations if a script is not found can ignore it and move next.